Chapter 23: The World Never Ceases to Catch Me Off Guard

Thank God it's Friday!

As I gather my things hurrily into my bag, a hand caught my arm. His face eager to take me home. It's was not a surprise to me at all why he is here. I gave him a small smile but he tugged on my bag insisting he'd carry it for me. I gave him a look but he still insisted. "Blaire," he said my name gently but there was a tone he was serious about carrying my bag. So I let him.

"Just so you know, this will be the first and last time you'll be carryin it," I said.

"Oh, I don't know," River said jokingly as we walk along the hallway. Then, I saw him as I pass by his class. It was as if he was waiting for someone because he was taking his time in arranging his things in his bag. Only a few of his classmates stayed inside the class-about three or four of them. I didn't know why but my walking pace got slower, maybe it's because I'm tired or maybe...I'm just curious of what's going on with him. Suddenly, a female about my height came inside the classroom and grabbed his hand. Long jet black hair, pretty curves and wearing the friendship bracelet that I made for Janna and gave it to her as a birthday present. My mind's gone blank for a milisecond and then I realized it was Janna who's with Clyde right now. It's as if I felt a lightning struck me, paralyzing my every movement.

"Blaire? You okay?" River's soft voice sounded behind my ears as he wraps his hand around my curled fist. When I uncurled my hand, I saw fingernail markings on my palm. I didn't realize that I was this mad. I immediately diverted my attention from both of them. "C'mon, take me home."

"You sure you're not going to wait for Janna?"

"Seems like she's busy with some other things anyway, so let's go."

"Oh, okay," he hooked my arm on his, somehow, I felt comforted by his action so I smiled secretly.

The next following days, I see Clyde and Janna hanging out more than often. Janna laughs at Clyde'sI suppose, corny jokes, they were never funnyjokes. I hate him for stealing my best friend away from both River and me. Along the hallway, I saw them linking each other's hands. I can't help but feel a little uneasy but then River always makes me feel better when he compliments me, gives me ice creams, and sometimes when we walk home together, he surprises me flowers from he picked from somewhere along the park. He never fails to excite me. Though we're acting like we are together together, we are not as of now. I don't know why but from the previous years I felt as if I'm sure River would be the guy who will be the one who will wait for me at the altar. But right know, I'm not so sure of it anymore. I wonder what changed my mind. I can't tell River that just yet, I still need him by my side. I still love River. I know I still love him.  

One school day while I was walking towards River's class when the bell rang at dismissal, something caught my attention. While passing by Clyde's class, I saw both of them. Janna and Clyde. His hands were around her waist; I couldn't see Janna's face since they were standing at the deeper part of the classroom, near the windows. And then it happened. Janna's grabed Clyde's face and placed her lips against his. My body goes limp. I ran as fast as I can to River's class. Hot water came out of my eyes. What the heck? Why am I crying? I should be happy for the both of them, especially to Janna since she deserves someone good for her. As I ran, I bumped into someone.  

"Hey hey, slow down," the voice calmy said to me and steadied me.  

I lift my face to look at the one who calmed me down. River. 

"Oh, River! Take me home! Please??" I sobbed on his shirt, as I hugged him and placed my face on his shirt. He smells like his cologne.  

"Easy now, I'll take you home. Shhh now, everything's gonna be alright." He cupped my face and used his thumbs to wipe the tears falling down. "Let's take you home now."