Chapter Thirty

Nini looked up from her phone and stared at Connor in the eyes. She didn't know what to do. She was speechless.

"Hey, what's wrong?" Connor asked, noticing her sudden look of shock.

"Spencer. Ricky's brother...he ran away," she said to the boy bluntly. It was as if her mind was running faster than her emotions- she knew what was happening, and she knew it was bad, but for some reason, she just didn't know how to feel.

"Oh shit," Connor replied, "what do we do?" He caught a glimpse of Nini's phone and saw the unanswered text messages from Ricky. "Call him!"

She nodded her head and dialed Ricky's number.

"Nini?" he asked frantically from the other line, "Oh god, Nini, I'm so glad you called. I don't know where Spencer went, I came downstairs and he was just gone and the front door was open. Nini, I don't know what to do. Please, help me."

"How long ago did he leave? Could he have gotten far?" the brunette asked.

"I-I don't know. I just noticed he was gone five minutes ago but he could've left before."

"Okay, just breathe, we'll find him," she said, hearing him rambling, "Where do you think he went?"

"Uh," he thought for a second, "I don't know, the park? That's the only place he knows where to go," he remembered.

Nini's eyes widened, "okay! I'm at the park right now, I'll look for him here and you look around your neighbourhood."

"Okay, call me if you find him please," he pleaded.

"Of course," the girl replied.

"What did he say?" Connor asked, seeing that she hung up the phone.

She let out a sigh, "he said Spencer could be around here. We better look before it gets any darker."

The two teenagers went around the park looking for Spencer, yelling out his name constantly and asking the other people who were on walks, if they have seen a short curly headed boy walking around. Unfortunately, they all said no, giving Connor and Nini less and less hope that he was at the park.

Regardless, they still searched for him in every corner, until they made it back full circle, to the spot where they had first heard the news.

"Connor, what if he's not here?" Nini asked, sitting down on the park bench, "We searched this whole area and we still haven't found him," she buried her face into her hands.

"Maybe he's just around his neighbourhood," Connor replied, in an attempt to make her feel better.

"No," she lifted her head, "Ricky would've called me," she sighed. "I just don't know where he could've gone. Ricky said this was the only place he knew where to go."

Connor sat down next to her and they sat in silence as he watched her hang her head down low and let out quiet breaths. He didn't know how to help her, how to make her feel better.

"Neens maybe we should-"

"Ricky!" a small voice coming from the end of the pathway interrupted Connor mid sentence, causing the two teenagers to look.

"Is that-"

"Ricky!" the small voice spoke again.

Nini was watching as the little boy walked around the end of the pathway, trying to look at everyone's faces that walked by. A sparkle in his eyes that was clearly seen, one that Nini thought was a result from trying to hold in his tears.

"Spencer?" she whispered, only loud enough for Connor to hear.

"What?" he replied.

"Spencer!" she yelled, grabbing the attention of the little boy. "Spencer, oh my god!"