Chapter Twenty Eight

"Bowen!" Nini exclaimed as she walked into her calculus class.

He faked a smile as he looked up at her but then he quickly looked back down to his phone.

"Hey! Where were you this morning, I was waiting for you by my locker," she said, sitting down in the seat beside him.

"Oh, uh, Red wanted to talk to me and the bell was about to ring so I just came here," he lied.

"Oh, okay," she replied, believing him, "well I'm coming over tonight! What do you wanna do?"

"What?"

"I'm coming over tonight- to babysit Spencer? Ring a bell?"

"Oh, right," he bluntly responded.

"Hey, what's going on? Are you okay?" she asked him, turning her body so she was facing him.

He decided it was better off to shake off the feeling of jealousy that he was feeling from what he saw on instagram the night before and continue acting normal with the girl. Maybe he just misunderstood what happened between the two of them.

He let out a breath he didn't know he was holding in and said, "nothing's wrong panini."

"Oh," she settled in her seat and also let out a breath, "so what do you want to do?"

"Hmm," the boy made a playful thinking face.

"Ew, why do you look like that?" Nini asked, making a disgusted face.

"Excuse me? Weren't you the one who called me cute before?" The boy smiled.

Nini's eyes went wide then she relaxed her face, "I have no idea what you're talking about. Oh look, Mazzara's here, shut up and pay attention goldie." She said, to which he laughed.

+

"How could you possibly know that? I haven't told that to anyone," Nini said to Ricky as the two of them walked over to the cafeteria table where their friends sat.

"Know what?" Gina asked.

"Ricky knows my secret and I'm trying to figure out how," Nini responded.

"A secret? Do we not know?" Kourtney asked, to which Nini shook her head.

"Um, wow okay. I'm hurt, but we're not gonna talk about it," Ashlyn said.

"Is it...bad?" Seb asked.

"No, it's actually really cool!" Ricky answered for Nini.

"Ricky shut the fuck up, no one asked you," the brunette said to the boy causing the group to laugh.

"Uh, ouch?" Ricky said.

"Aww sorry goldie, I'll make it up to you," Nini pouted playfully.

"Damn, not at the table," Carlos spoke, "there are people trying to eat."

"Yea. Ricky, I'm all for you getting together with Nini but please don't start making out or whatever while we eat," Ej added.

The two teens' eyes went wide and they looked at Ej with a look of shock.

"Ej, we're not-"

"It's not like that-" They said at the same time, but stopped when they realized they were talking over each other.

"Oh shit, is it not official yet?" Ej said.

Ricky looked at Nini and saw that she couldn't find the words to say. Her cheeks started to redden as she stared at Ej, frozen.

Of course he wanted to be an official couple with her, but everything was happening so quickly and he didn't know if she felt the same way towards him as he did with her.