A Rather Strange Team

Akira’s POV

We had reached the five month mark in our mission. For a dangerous, and supposedly time restrained mission, things were going pretty slowly. Sai spent no time socializing and had instead took to silently observing us. I could tell the chunin were a bit creeped out but I barely noticed, I just kept thinking something was wrong. We had been in enemy territory for the majority of the mission, we had no papers and yet got passed the borders, and we had yet to be found. Did this country even have ninjas?

“Hey,” I walked over to Chie, who stood next to her chunin partner Hachiro. “Does this land have a ninja village?”

“Of course. Why do you ask?” Chie said as Hachiro looked at me with exasperation. Apparently asking my questions was frowned upon by this man.

“No reason.” I shrugged. So they don’t find this weird? It’s been too peaceful… Has Sai noticed? He was sitting on a rock at the edge of base camp. “Hey, Sai.”

“You need something, code-?” He asked as his eyes fixated on me.

“Stop that.” I had been asking him to stop referring to me by code since we met. It was cool to have a code but annoying to have it replace your name. “Don’t you think it’s weird?”

“Weird?”

“Yeah, strange. Isn’t it strange we haven’t run into an enemy?”

A chilling smile appeared on his face. “Not really. We are being careful after all.”

“I suppose…” I left him to his sketches and walked to my sleeping roll. Mumbling, “Am I just paranoid?”

Later that night, Sai slept in the tree above me taking the third watch after Chie.  Little did I know a plan I hadn’t been informed of was about to take place.

I awoke to a body tripping over me, I jolted upright grabbing the person and checking who they were. Blood dripped down the side of Sai’s head, but he was alive at least. I looked up and scanned my surroundings. Nothing moved. I could see Chie and Hachiro slowly moving into a defensive formation. I couldn’t exactly leave Sai behind, I knew I should move to the others but I couldn’t. It was like I was being weighed down with something. Goosebumps covered my body, I felt that if I moved or even breathed it would cause some terrible chain of events.

“You’re welcome.” A voice whispered near my ear.

I spun on my heel, falling back. Nothing. There was only air. “Who’s there?”

“Akira, get over here. No-” Hachiro called but his voice faded as the moonlight glint of a blade appeared pressed to his neck.

“How about no one moves?” The voice said again. “So small female, do I get a thank you?”

“Uh…Thank- you?”   I said slowly getting back to my feet.

The person sighed, stepping with Hachiro into the dim light. “I saved you from that boy. He was about to stab you.”

“He was?” I asked pointing to Sai.

“Correct. Now,” He released Hachiro tripping him towards Chie. “I want to speak with you.” He pointed his sword at me. “Alone.”

“Uh…sure?”

“I don’t see why Hiroka and Leader value you so much. You seem rather indecisive.”

“You know Hiroka? And Leader?”

“Of course. So shall we talk young miss?”

Chie and Hachiro shook their heads. He could have killed me, he didn’t. He could have killed Sai. He didn’t. He could have killed all of us, he didn’t.