Real Estate Hunting

Akira's POV

Last evening, Shikamaru arrived and told me that Tenten took my advice. I didn't understand until I went out for a walk the next morning. She came running up to me and spun me around, Jitte wrapped protectively in my arms.

"Akira! It's great. You were right!"

"About what?"

"Neji!" She beamed. "I convinced him to go out tomorrow night. Oh it's going to be great. Thank you so much! I guess I really couldn't just wait for him to ask me. Now you just have to set Lee and Gai up and I'll start advertising you as 'The Matchmaker'."

"Sounds like effort."

She deadpanned,"...You've been hanging out with Shikamaru too much. Maybe I should set you two up."

I scrunched my nose up. "No thanks."

"Hm, but don't you think it's weird for a boy and girl to hang out so much."

I discreetly used the gender transformation jutsu Sasuke and I had practiced before smiling at her. "Well considering I'm not always a girl, no. Besides Sakura used to hang out with Naruto and Sasuke and no one batted an eyelash."

She blushed, "Well yeah. We were little kids back then."

"It was three years ago." I laughed. "Anyways, I have to get going I'm meeting up with someone today."

"Shikamaru." She teased.

I rolled my eyes and waved as I walked away.

"Tell him I say hi, okay?"

I stroked Jitte's cheek, "Tenten thinks she's so funny, doesn't she?"

He babbled and grabbed my finger.

"Gentle, gentle."

I had some time to kill before meeting up with Shikamaru so I wandered the park, I saw a few civilian mothers and even some women I recognized from the jounin offices with their small children. I wondered if I looked even a little competent to them. I bounced Jitte lightly causing him to laugh as he reached for swaying leaves well above my head.

I walked further down the path when I saw a girl, about my age. Maybe a year older, sitting in a clearing meditating. It was loud in the park, but she didn't seem to mind. She had her long hair tied back, and wore plain, comfortable clothes. Light greens, and beiges. I couldn't tell if she wore really lose pants or if it was a skirt.

She opened one eye and smiled at me. "Hello."

Her voice was soft, like a gentle breeze. It didn't necessarily linger but I found myself relaxing almost in an instant.

"Hello, do you always meditate here?"

"Sometimes. Sometimes I go to the top of the Hokage mountain. My name's Yuka."

"I'm Akira. Do you want somewhere quieter?"

She looked back at the children, the chatting parents, and crying babies.

"I wouldn't mind it. But I'm not accepted everywhere so..."

"Why not?" I asked sitting beside her.

"I don't have a home..."

"Neither did my student. Soon all street children, teens, and adults will have a place to go. I'm making sure of it. You'll have a home soon."

"I don't understand."