The Trial

Kakashi’s POV

 “Today’s her trial…” I said, leaning against the wall in the hokage’s office. Ibiki and Lady Tsunade nodded silently in agreement.

Ibiki stepped forward. “I think I should be the judge at her trial today.”

“What?” I asked, “If anyone should be the judge it should be me.”

“You’re too close to her, your judgment would be biased.” Ibiki countered.

“He’s right, but Ibiki you’re also fond of her. Therefore, I will be the judge.”

Ibiki and I were a bit stunned to say the least, it wasn’t everyday that the Hokage would make a court appearance. Then again…

“You don’t like Akira…” I said.

“…And Akira doesn’t like you…” Ibiki muttered.

“In other words, you’re an impartial judge. You acknowledge Akira’s abilities but hate her as a person.”

“Exactly.” She smiled.

“Heh, you’re probably the most neutral judge Akira will ever get.” Ibiki said, heading to the door. “I look forward to the results.”

Akira’s POV

The court house was a rarely used building in Konoha as very few criminals were taken alive and few crimes were committed knowing ninjas could easily retaliate. It was a tall, narrow building with a holding cell in the basement or so I had heard… The walls were cracked, the windows dusty and the only thing that looked new was the roof which had to be nearing the end of its life as well. 

I’m surprised such an old building managed to remain after all the attacks on Konoha. I stepped slowly up the main steps, and Kakashi appeared near the door. He was still in a wheelchair, crutches strapped to the back.

“Are you ready?” He asked.

“Do I have much choice?” I said as I opened the doors and we walked into the courts halls. A few doors were symmetrically located in the walls, while double doors waited at the end. I took a deep breath and we walked towards them, I could feel ninja’s watching from the shadows, hidden with jutsus most likely. It set my nerves on edge. Though the worst that could happen is they throw me in jail or stone me, or sacrifice me to a supposed demon in order to ensure the volcano wouldn’t erupt… Yeah. No big deal.

“Akira before we go in,” Kakashi stopped us at the door. “I want you to win this but even if you don’t I won’t let them do anything to you. You just won’t be allowed in the jounin exams.”

“Right…”

We pushed through the doors and entered the room, the judge would be Tsunade. The jury would be the jounin’s family, my friends who were injured and Shizune. Kakashi was there for moral support and to help with my testimony. I just hoped they let me compete. Those kids are counting on me. Not to mention their parents would kill me otherwise.

Kakashi sat on the empty benches while I sat behind a desk facing Tsunade.

“Miss Akira Hatake.” Tsunade began even as the jury began whispering to each other staring between Kakashi and I. Cat’s out of the bag now. “As you know, you’re actions during the jounin exams second event are being analyzed as mental instability, reckless and a danger to all. If you wish to be cleared of this and given permission to continue the exams, and your training, you will need to gain the approval of the jury and myself. You can either choose to drop out and continue training until your mental health is deemed adequate or you can defend yourself now and potentially lose your ninja status. What is your choice?”