To the Base

Akira’s POV

I braced myself, closing my eyes to the monster before me. The pain never came though, the sound of metal hitting metal resounded throughout my body. It had been close, I opened my eyes and Sai stood before me.

Evelyeen jumped back, “Are you willing to die with her?”

“No, but I feel certain people would kick not only your ass but my ass as well if she were to die here.” Sai handed me my sword. “Besides, she is my…she is my friend.” It rolled hesitantly off his tongue, and he snuck a glance at me from the corner of his eye.

I nodded, verifying that although he had been an absolute pain, his actions proved he was indeed my friend. “Evelyeen, you can’t beat two experts, so why don’t you just stop and we can forget this happened.”

“No.”

“What?”

“No. I’ve watched you two, I know your weaknesses better than you do. I could easily slip past your guard and kill both of you.”

“Oh really now.” A vaguely familiar voice taunted. I grinned as, Evelyeen’s eyes bugged out before shifting sharply towards Hiroka.

“Stand down, Hiroka. This should only take a minute.”

“That boy managed to defend against you, what makes you think you can do anything to them?”

“I didn’t expect him to intervene, after all this was his original goal.”

“It doesn’t look like that now.” Hiroka teased, nodding at us. “You two alright? The tranny didn’t scare you now did he?”

I shook my head, glancing at Sai’s palms; they were bleeding, the sheer force behind Evelyeen’s blade had been enough for the handles of Sai’s dual swords to break and dig into his palms… yet he had been willing to fight even like that. “I’m alright, but Sai’s hands…”

“It’s nothing. Don’t worry.” He said reassuringly.

Hiroka rubbed the back of her neck eyeing the blood drip steadily into the grass. “Geez, you really did a number on these kids. Evelyeen, I realize that you probably have a good…okay I can’t say a good reason. But I know you have a reason behind this. So before Leader gets here, let’s put down the weapons. Maybe we can sort this out before he adds any unnecessary violence into this.”

Evelyeen must have been seeing red by now as he threw down his sword, the point missing Hiroka’s foot by mere inches. Hiroka sighed, picking it up and walking past Evelyeen. “So, who wants to explain first?” the words which were meant to be gentle came out as though we were victims to a sadistic torturer.

A shaky breath left me, if Evelyeen’s reaction was anything to go by, this won’t end well. Evelyeen quickly raised his hand, and Hiroka rolled her eyes. “Alright, you first.”

“She’s not Pein’s child.” That was more bluntly put than when Sai told me my period bled through the seat of my pants. I decided this was what people meant when they said friends pick up on each other’s speech habits…

Hiroka seemed about as impressed as I was; she gently clasped the bridge of her nose, muttering ‘why’ over and over to herself. “Evelyeen, we’ve had confirmation that Pein does have a child.”

“From who? Did she confirm it?” He accused, sending a chilling glare my way.

“No.” Leader appeared quickly behind Evelyeen, causing everyone in the clearing to jump two feet back.

“Damnit! I told you to stop doing that!” Hiroka cursed, as she clutched her heart. “Ever since you learned that, you’ve been using it on damn well everyone.”