Sakura's Date

Sai's POV

Recently I had been seeing less and less of Akira so I spent much of my time in the library or observing Naruto's progress. Sora and Naruto argued more, Sora often stormed off with an expression I couldn't place. His mouth twisted, eyes down, as he marched out of the clearing.

Sora had been in the village for three days now, he'd been getting more withdrawn every passing day. Naruto, of course, couldn't mind his own business and seemed to be making things much worse.

I was in the library again today when Sakura passed by. I knew that Akira had rounded up a few individuals to test out her strange sleep pills. She had tried to convince me they were safe, but as I was still cradling the arm she had tried to heal I told her a flat no.

"Hey Sai."

"Yes?"

"You read a lot right?"

"Yes. I try to read as much as I can."

"And you've been on dates before right?"

"A few why do you ask?"

"Well..." She hesitated, laying her head on the desk. "I've got a date tonight but I don't know... I'm worried."

"Do you like him?"

"I don't know."

"...I don't understand. I thought dates were based on mutual feelings or an interest from one party at least."

"Well, it's a blind date. I've seen him once but we didn't talk much." She sighed, "Maybe you know him. He's Akira's friend Maki."

"The one she almost killed?"

"She what!?"

"Oh. I thought you knew."

I could see Sakura was rethinking this date, I couldn't be entirely sure why though. It wasn't like she was the one who almost killed Maki. I sighed and put down the book Naruto had requested me to read. It was titled "How to Understand Your New Friend". Sora had apparently been acting strangely and Naruto being the nosiest ninja, had to figure out why.

"Sakura, are you worried he won't like you?"

"Well...no but this is the first time I've ever dated anyone. You've been on dates before, right? With Akira?"

As she said this I had flashbacks to Akira and I staking out a target, Akira and I holding secret meetings with criminals, Akira dragging me out for a meal for me to find out it's a live octopus on rice.

"I honestly don't think my experience would be helpful to you."

She reached across the table and patted my hand. "It is Akira we're talking about."

"I suppose. Either way, I'm sure your date will go smoothly in comparison."

"Thank you, Sai."

We sat in amiable silence for a moment before Sakura tentatively asked, "How did you and Akira get together?"

I set my book down with a sigh. "It's rather... complicated."

"What do you mean?" She gasped, "Wait, you're not really together are you?"

"No. Nothing like that." I assured. "We are together. We've been together for a while now. But well...the reason we started was probably different than what you're thinking."

"How so?"

"We... we wanted to practice real dating."

She leaned forward on the table. "Practice for what?"