seventeen

JJ awoke to the sound of hospital machines beeping and felt tubes hooked up all over her. For a moment, she didn't realize where she was and was completely oblivious to everything that had happened before it all came flooding back to her and a wave a sheer panic washed over her face. 

She sat up frantically from her bed and before she even looked around the room, she felt her hand knock into someone else's a few inches away. Her vision was blurry from just waking up, but she knew right away after blinking a few times and grabbing the hand in front of her that it was Emily.

 Emily was laying in a bed next to hers and her hand had fallen off the side of the bed.

 "Oh!" JJ cried out in tears of happiness, realizing that Emily was alive. 

She squeezed Emily's hand so hard and if it hadn't been for the obvious stitches from the gunshot wound, JJ probably would've jumped on top of her. Instead, she opted for a gentle kiss and sat on her bed, stroking Emily's hair lightly. 

Morgan, Hotch, and Kate had been standing outside the window to their room and watched as the situation unfolded. 

"You know they're dating, right?" Kate laughed and motioned her head towards the two. 

"Ya, I can see that now." Hotch said sarcastically. 

"I've suspected it for a while now but I felt bad outing them." Kate said with an apologetic face. 

Morgan was smiling because his friends were okay but he was also wide eyed and staring as JJ kissed Emily. 

"Okay you creeper." Kate noticed Morgan and laughed. 

"Let's give them some privacy." She nodded down the hall and walked away with her two team members.

Emily opened her eyes slowly and twitched her hand when she felt it was being held. It took her a moment to process her surroundings, but when she made eye contact with JJ, her eyes lit up and she smiled. It was only a quick moment though before she realized that JJ's face was pretty badly cut up and she had a big bandage around her torso.

 "Are you okay? What did he do to you?" Emily asked, very concerned. 

"Em, I'm fine. He can't hurt either of us anymore." JJ reassured her. 

"You mean he's..." Emily's voice trailed off.

 "Dead? Yes, I promise." JJ said softly, stroking circles on the back of her girlfriend's hand with her thumb. 

Emily just laid there and smiled, staring at the beautiful blonde in silence. Even with cuts and a battered up face, she still looked like an angel thrown right out of heaven, Emily laughed to herself. Seeing Emily's loving smile was all JJ needed to melt. She adjusted herself and curled up next to her girlfriend. She brought Emily's hand up to her face and kissed it gently, a gesture that made Emily's eyes close. 

"Get some sleep. I'll be right here the whole time. You have a lot of healing to do." JJ said softly next to Emily's ear.

 "You and me both babe." Emily said, looking at JJ smiling before drifting off to sleep.