six

The team had arrived in Oregon a few hours earlier and had split up like usual. Morgan and Rossi were revisiting the sites of the body disposals, Kate and Emily were sent to the abduction site of the latest victims, and Hotch, Reid, and JJ arrived at the local PD to start sorting out the press and talk to the families. JJ sat down in a quiet room with Slyvia and Bruno Davis, parents of missing 16 year old Madison Davis. 

"Mr. and Mrs. Davis, I just want to say how sorry I am under the circumstances, but we are going to do everything in our power to get Madison home safely. Can you tell me about Madison's relationship?" JJ asked softly.

 "Keegan was her girlfriend's name. They had only been together for a few months, but I really think Madison loved her. They did everything together, and rarely fought. All around they worked well together, and pushed each other to stay strong even when people frowned upon their relationship." Slyvia said tearing up. 

"It can be hard in a small town like this to fit in, and especially when you're, well, different." Bruno added, trying to comfort his wife. 

"Thank you, I know this is difficult, but it's incredibly important that you stay strong for your daughter and for each other." JJ said comfortingly, standing up to leave. "I'll let you know when I have any more information, I promise."

____________________________

The team had been working for hours and it was close to 1 am. There were scattered pizza boxes around the conference room they had set up in, and many frustrated faces.

 "Ok guys, we're still not any closer than we were a few hours ago. Let's let this rest for a few hours, come back in the morning and hit the ground running. I'll see you all in the morning." Hotch said. 

Emily was exhausted, barely running on enough coffee to keep her awake to drive to the hotel. The three black SUV's pulled up to the hotel at roughly the same time, and Kate approached the desk to check everyone in.

 "Alright guys, we've got keys." Kate said sleepily. 

JJ grabbed her and Emily's key as they always shared a room when they travelled. "Okay, sleepy head." JJ said, patting Emily's head as she sat on the couch ready to fall asleep. "Let's get you to bed."

JJ was practically carrying Emily through their hotel door and laid her on the bed when she sat up, realizing where she was.

 "Em why are you so tired?" JJ laughed as she threw her stuff down on the floor and pulled off her shoes. 

"Well, to be honest, I haven't gotten much sleep lately." 

This was completely true. Ever since their night at JJ's house and the events that unfolded, Emily had barely been able to sleep. She kept replaying the moment she looked into JJ's beautiful blue eyes and wondered if there was something more there. She tried not to think about the blonde, but the more she attempted to push her to the back of her brain, the more she seemed to pop up front and center and distract her from her work. 

"Why? Is something bothering you?" JJ sat next to Emily and asked concerned.

 "I'm fine, really. I've just been a little distracted lately." Emily sighed, running her hands through her hair.

 "Ok, well, if you want to talk about it, I'm right here. And you know I'll always be there to listen." JJ said softly, touching Emily's arm which sent immediate shivers down her spine. 

"Thanks, Jayje. I love you." Emily said. 

"I love you more." JJ said, pulling Emily in for a soft hug. 

While Emily didn't mention it outloud, she thought to herself "not possible," because she already loved Jennifer with all her heart.