【19】

· • ● ❖ ● • ·

OMNISCIENT POV.

Ricky was sitting in Big Red's room, who had agreed to let him stay over, and the redhead was now trying to get some sort of air mattress ready.

"Tell me when to stop" the redhead said. "Do you like it soft or hard(🌚)?"

Ricky looked down at the small looking piece of plastic on the floor and said; "Are you sure this is even a bed?"

"Can you sleep on a pool toy?" Big a red asked, looking down at the 'mattress'.

"Leave it" Ricky said. "I can just sleep on the floor"

"Do your parents even know you are staying over?" Big Red asked. "Are they cool with this?"

"I texted them but I'm not asking for permission" Ricky sighed.

"They're gonna work it out" Big Red said.

"No, they're not" Ricky said a bit too explosively even for his own liking.

"Okay, cool" the red headed boy said. "Do you wanna play Fornite?"

"Nah"

"Watch a movie?"

"Not tonight"

"Great, well Youtube" Red said, picking up his laptop. "I found this insane video of a girl in Delaware who said she got rid of her psoriasis by eating her dogs kibble"

"Gross" Ricky said, looking around. Suddenly he found a machine with some kind of mask attached to it. "What is all this?"

"Oh, that's a C-PAP machine, my mom got it for me, for my sleep apnea" Big Red said putting his laptop down.

"I-it's loud but I drown it out with this" he said. The boy picked up a white and red machine, with a round shape. "It has a rainforest setting that's pretty dope"

Suddenly the machine started making sounds, very jungle like. Ricky felt his anxiety levels rise. He really appreciated and loved Big Red, but he felt a bit out of breath.

Big Red has a big happy family. And Ricky never really envied that until now, not sickening envy but it definitely made him a bit uneasy.

He didn't wanted to reject Big Red's help, but Ricky didn't think Big Red could ever fully understand what he was going through at the moment.

"You're not scared of thunder, are you?" the boy asked.

Big Red looked at Ricky, who seemed to be way too deep into his thoughts, he looked lost, sad. And it broke Red's heart to see his best friend in this state and not be able to do something to actually help.

"Do you think you should, call your mom?" The boy said. "At least say good night, or goodbye or... I don't know"

Ricky just sat there, he honestly felt like a jerk for doing this to Big Red. This "hangout" was supposed to help him press pause on the fact that his family was getting torn apart, that his parents were separating, his mom was moving to Chicago, the girl he's in love with is with somebody else, his ex thinks he's a jerk, and that he was the lead on the school's musical, for just a few hours.