CHAP 14 🥰

"I'm going to start off practice by being frank with you all. We're not going to win over SHS if you guys don't do better. Take after Mr. Cosentino here,"

Kairi immediately looked down at the grass, suddenly feeling uncomfortable.

"He just got here and he's already our star player!" The coach exclaimed and Kairi lifted his head up with wide eyes, just as his teammates turned to face him.

"I think....that's a bit of a reach sir." He said softly.

The older man only rolled his eyes. "Don't be so humble—I'm sure you could beat Mr. Polibio easily." He continued, probably not realizing the tension he was creating on the field, just like last time.

"Well thanks sir." Mattia muttered with a small roll of his eyes and Kairi shifted in his spot.

The coach cracked a smile, knowing Mattia's tendency to always want to be number one. He always looked forward to the day when someone would come in and one up him. It amused him greatly.

"Practice harder and maybe you'll be to par." The man shrugged nonchalantly even though he had a sly smile on his face. "Prove me wrong." He continued before walking away.

The ravens eyes immediately narrowed in determination and all the other soccer players mentally cursed at the coach for what he had just caused.

Player number 22 was going to beat their ass today and for the next two fucking weeks.

Two weeks of pure hell.

Kairi on the other hand, swallowed thickly, trying to control his nerves after being put on the spot like that. He didn't exactly like being talked about as if he was superior to everyone else because it made him feel like his other teammates wouldn't like him as much anymore. View him as an opponent rather than someone on their side.

In reality though, the only person he really had to worry about feeling that way was the tall, glowering boy standing beside him.

It was silent for a couple of moments as everyone was anticipating if Mattia would say anything and the silence quickly became awkward when the boys started to realize that that wouldn't be the case today. He was just standing there, staring out in the field, mentally preparing to prove the coach wrong.

"The hell are you guys doing? Get to work with your warmups!" The coach yelled out when he noticed none of the players were moving from their spots.

And then the boys did—quickly moving out into the field to get started with their stretches since the coach immediately called them over one by one when they got outside.

Kairi plopped down on the artificial grass with a soft grunt, squinting so hard that his head was starting to hurt since the sun was practically glaring down on them today. It was so fucking hot out. He sat a bit away from his teammates, not feeling close enough to anyone to sit with a group.

He would've sat by Alejandro and Mattia but they were already sitting by their other friends and Kairi couldn't lie and say that they didn't make him uncomfortable. Because they kinda did. They seemed like they secretly talked about Kairi behind his back.

But maybe that was just his negative mind talking nonsense.

Either way, he couldn't help but believe his pessimistic thoughts. It was his brain after all...it was kind of hard to go against thoughts that were rather persistent in his mind.

The same kind of pessimistic thoughts that told him Alvaro and his friends would find it weird for him to sit with them during practice even though he sat with them at lunch.