chapter one.

====TW: BLOOD, CUTS, SWEARING====

words: 4643

(y/n)'s pov~

i stifle a yawn, walking through the familiar dim hallways of black mesa. i attempt to fold back the sleeves of my lab coat due to the coat being fairly oversized on me. a small bit of warmth rushes to my face when i get side-eyed by a couple of other workers.

"god, why do these coats have to be so damn big-?" i mutter to myself, already agitated about how the day has started.

after finally adjusting my sleeves, i pick up my speed a bit. 

'today's a more important day than normal,' i remind myself, 'i've got control panel duty for the test chambers again.'

i stop to glance into the break room, causing my stomach grumble at me. i wasn't able to eat breakfast this morning since i rushed out for work. i make my way in, walking straight to the vending machine to grab a snack. i settle on a normal granola bar, sitting down at an open table and trying to eat as fast as i can without being a slob in front of my co-workers.

"miss, could you tell me what these billboards say?" i hear an almost childish voice say.

i look up to see a tall brunette man looking back at me, a wide friendly smile on his face. looking to my side to make sure his attention was on me, i quickly reply to him.

"uhm- sure," i mumble back. 

i muster a small smile back to him before getting up from my chair, walking over to where he was standing. he says nothing more, pointing to the board on the wall. no matter how hard or close i looked at the papers i couldn't manage a single word out of them.

'i know my eyesight is not this shit,' i think to myself.

"i'm gonna be honest with you, i can't make out a single word on any of these," i tell him.

i hear the man sigh beside me, "that's what the other guy said too.." he mutters to himself, pouting a bit.

"sorry i couldn't be much help, man. where are you headed?"

"i'm supposed to be looking over the test chambers soon!" he replies, obviously very excited to be apart of the procedure.

my eyes slightly widen in surprise, "oh-! i'm actually headed there too. would you want to go over there with me?" i ask him.

his eyes light up a bit and he nods frantically at me, causing a genuine grin to form on my lips. if only i felt as excited for this job as he was. we walk out of the break room together, heading to the intercom room.

"my name's tommy!" he tells me, breaking the silence we had going.

i chuckle lightly, "i'm (y/n)," i reply back.

"do you think we could be friends, mx. (y/n)?" 

he gives me a hopeful look, making me giggle at his childlike demeanor. it's pretty cute.

"of course. and you can just call me '(y/n)' if you'd like," i answer.

"okay!" he exclaims somewhat loudly.

we talk a bit more during the walk, mainly about work subjects and things we do outside of work. we finally make it to the control panel room, tommy holding the door open for me. i thank him and he gives me a cute smile in return, following behind me. two other men were already in the room, glancing at the two of us before giving us space to come close to the small window. i hear them sharing greetings to each other as i look out.