chapter sixteen.

a/n: happy valentines day! hope yall like the chapter :>

====TW: MENTIONS OF GUNS, DEATH====

words: 4355

(y/n)'s pov~

"(y/n), watch out!" tommy warns me as he grabs my wrist, "there's danger!"

"what? where?" i ask looking around, getting a glimpse of gordon's confused and somewhat judgmental face. tommy points his gun ahead of me, bringing my attention to a large yellow sign on the ground, "a wet floor?"

he nods frantically, "yEs!"

i say silent for a moment before turning to tommy, "alright, well we can walk slowly. so we don't trip, right?"

the fear in his eyes began to vanish and he smiled, "good idea!"

i see bubby roll his eyes as he pulls out his own pistol shooting the sign so it broke into a bunch of small pieces. 

"i learned it from OSHA, wet floors are very dangerous, (y/n)," tommy informs as gunshots continue to fire at the wet floor sign.

we attempt to walk through the dim, red-lighted hall, we have to stop due to gordon and benrey getting into another argument. dr. coomer kept commenting about the lighting  to try and distract us from the negative energy made by the other two but to no avail. tommy awkwardly fidgeted with his lab coat while bubby groaned and began tapping his foot in annoyance.

"(y/n)!" bubby said from beside me, making me turn my head towards him.

"yeah?" i ask, seeing a sly look on his face.

"this lighting is nice, isn't it?"

i look up at the lights, "..yeah, they're cool,"

"romantic, even?"

blood rushed to my face and i couldn't help but smile at his attempt to flirt, "y'know, they kinda are, bubby. what are you implying?" i ask in a slightly lower tone, leaning towards him.

the smug smile he had became more genuine and his confidence deflated a bit, "oh, i uh- i was-.. just pointing it out!"

i chuckle a bit at his switch in attitude, the mood being ruined by gordon's yelling only getting louder from where they were. 

"you have killed so many... fucking innocent people!" gordon shouts, his voice straining.

i sigh as i take initiative, walking over to them and glancing at the two before my eyes land directly onto gordon's, "what's going on? we've been waiting too long for another petty fight from you guys," i tell them bluntly.

"this motherfucker's-! he's shitting on me for killing people even though he's done the same thing! fucking- double standard!" gordon complains as he motions to benrey, who if anything looks bored at this whole ordeal.

"gordon what happened to 'not listening to a word he says'? he's annoying, sure, but he isn't worth your time," i tell him, staring at benrey when i finish my mini rant.

i could swear i saw benrey's look falter at my words as gordon piped up, "yeah. yeah, you're right. let's keep going," gordon says as he walks past benrey and i.

i don't hesitate to follow behind gordon, leaving benrey to trail behind the rest of us.

...and benrey didn't know how to feel about that. he could leave the boundaries of black mesa whenever, be a nuisance to gordon and (y/n) as much as he wanted to, but... he had to admit it to himself. he was beginning to regret his actions.