Chapter 34: Lessons

(Three days later at volleyball practice)
*Tobio's POV*

"Up one!"

"Two!"

"Three!"

"Fo-"

"You know Y/N... you don't have to shout every time. I can count in my head." I paused to think. "Actually just count every tenth out loud." I groaned as I continued my pushups while chatting.

Y/N was sitting criss cross on my back as I warmed up for practice with 'weighted' pushups.

"How do you make it look so effortless?" Y/N's voice held exasperation. "It's like you're not even trying!" She exclaimed.

"You're like the weight of a chipmunk," I grumbled. "If this was anyone else from the team on my back... I would collapse in an instant."

Y/N just let out a short 'hm' in response as she stretched out and lounged across my back. I could feel her place her hands behind her head across my shoulder blades and cross her ankles down by my knees.

Just as Y/N was relaxed and settled, lying across my back, "Fly High" started blaring.

"Eeeeep!" Y/N shrieked, startled by the sudden song playing and rolled right off my back, falling to the hard wood flooring.

"Ow." She lied face first next to me on the floor.

Dropping to my knees, I paused my pushups to check on her. "Hey, you okay, chipmunk?"

"Grrr," she swatted my hand away in embarrassment. But as she slipped her phone out of her pocket and checked the caller ID, her face paled over.

"Hey, who is it?" I asked curiously.

"I-I-I gotta go..." she said quietly, her eyes never leaving the screen as she stood up and walked away.

I kept my gaze on her as she answered the phone. She certainly didn't look happy and definitely appeared to be holding back a flood of tears.

Who could she be talking to? What was it about? Is she going to be okay?

After about ten minutes on the phone, she walked out the gym doors. Not in a hurry or anything, she just... strolled out, her shoulders dropped at her sides, eyes fixated on the floor.

I wanted to run after her, make sure she didn't do anything irrational, but just as I stood up to follow her out, Coach Ukai blew a whistle and shouted, "Alright everyone, gather up! Time to begin practice!"

We all clumped up into lopsided circle around Ukai as he explained the synchronized attack strategy he wanted us to work on today.

As coach was babbling on, out of the corner of my eye, I caught Nishinoya nudge Sugawara and whisper, "Hey, have you seen Y/N?"

Just as Sugawara opened his mouth to speak, I spoke up instead, "She got a phone call. When she hung up, she left the gym."

As I mentioned Y/N leaving the gym, Sugawara's face held a horrified expression as if he had just been told his children were kidnapped.

"What is it?" I asked.

"There's supposed to a storm today! A typhoon!" he shouted. Ukai stopped talking and the entire team's attention was focused on us.

Like a bolt of lightening, Nishinoya darted toward the gym doors.

"Noya! Come back! It's too dangerous to go out there!" Daichi called after him, but he was already long gone.

*Y/N's POV*

My mother called.

Apparently she found out that I was seeing a dietitian and a therapist... I guess through insurance and shit... even though I was listed under dad's name.