Play 29

Super late and short. Enjoy!

"Not related? Quit playing games with me, Chiyori!"

The sappy side of my brain perked alive at the mention of my name and the other side whacked the sappy side for being cringey.

This ain't the time for that!

Whatever's that, I didn't want to know.

"Do I look like I'm joking?" I fixed my eyes to his own. "Definitely not. When I say they are not related, they are really not related by blood."

Aomine straightened and rubbed his forehead. "So who's adopted?"

I put my hands in my pocket. "No one's adopted. My family is kind of..." I tried to fish for the right word but all I could think of goes back to one word, "...complicated, you see. Let's walk."

Aomine silently agreed by walking alongside with me. "Before my mother met our father, she had Asuki-nee. Asuki-nee's biological father is an athlete. They argued a lot and decided to just end their relationship, and Asuki-nee's custody, as you can see, went to our mom."

I glanced over to Aomine to see if he was still listening and continued. "Asuki-nee was four years old and Aniki was only one when mom and dad met. Like my mom's previous relationship, my father's relationship with Aniki's biological mom wasn't going well."

I let out a sigh. "They... they found a common ground."

Both were parents. Both were unmarried. Both were broken. Both were there to heal each other.

I pulled out my hand and made gestures in the air. "One thing lead to the other and I was... born. I..."

My hand paused mid-air.

The whispers...

I remembered the whispers of the children at school. The judgemental gaze of the adults. That's why I schooled far away from home... That's why I didn't like my neighbors.

My heart clenched out of a sudden at the emotional rush I felt.

"I-I..." my voice trembled and I bit the inside of my cheeks. "I hate how people talk ill about it."

I hated how people never ask but say their conclusion immediately.

I frowned and blinked to lessen the burning sensation on my eyes. "Anyway, When I was one, they married each other and Asuki-nee also took the surname."

I released another sigh but it did nothing to lessen the emotional turmoil I was in.

"I don't get why you are uncomfortable about it," Aomine spoke with nonchalance.

I shot him a glare. "You don't understand."

Imagine growing up with people whispering and judging your mother and father. I could live with being called a child of sin but my parents being insulted? No. They're my back bone. They're my weakest spot.

He closed his eyes for a second before looking straight to my eyes. "I was not in your shoes but I know that when it comes to my family, people's opinion doesn't matter," he averted his eyes for a moment and then, looked back at me. "What matters most is that my family is happy and close you know. I'd tell them to either back off or go f*ck themselves, I don't care."

My eyes widened at his response.

I was speechless. His words slapped the truth straight to my face for the countless time.

I knew deep inside that people's words didn't matter but the emotional damage it caused to my young mind back then begged to differ although I learned to just push it aside.

I heard lots of advice from different people, even from my family but almost all of them said to don't mind it or just let them be, they don't understand.

Aomine's words was like a breath of fresh air in a world full of passiveness and be understanding.

I couldn't help it, I laughed. I felt Aomine's eyes on me so I turned to look at him with a grin.

His suggestion was kind of unrespectful yet refreshing at the same time. "I was young so I can't talk like that to adults, Aomine, though I can't say the same to my schoolmates..." my eyebrows furrowed remembering the countless of time in my elementary days. "I did give them a piece of my mind and maybe..." I cleared my throat. "A taste of my fist."

"Sounds like something you'd do," Aomine commented while still staring at me.

I was tempted to give him the middle finger but a mother and daughter passed by so I settled for a glare.

"Anyway, my mother used to be frequently called at the principal's office for my occasional involvement at silly child fights. It only stopped when I was in middle school."

He hummed. "Coz you're feisty and ill-tempered."

I shot him another glare. "You're one to talk. If I'm not mistaken, you're a regular in the principal's office, too."

He raised an eyebrow. "I may look like I'm up for a fight, but I'm too focus on basketball to get involve in silly fights you know. Besides, they're small-brained if they picked a fight on me. It's a lost cause, anyway."

I gaped at his audacity and when he glanced at my direction, he gave me this smug look and it only worsened my irritation.

"I pray for the girl who's going to fall for you, Aomine. You're a handful."

"And I pray that's not you," he mumbled and my jaw dropped.

"Whaaaat?!"

I felt like the world stop with his words. I was contemplating whether I heard him correctly or did my brain just decided to play stupid today.

Because honestly, at this very moment, Aomine was so conceited I could punch someone to death right now.

"What?" He gave me a puzzled look.

And punch I did.

"Oww, f*ck! What was that for?!" Aomine exclaimed, rubbing his arm.

"Why would you say that?!" I was mortified.

"The what?"

From being horrified, my mood shifted immediately. I looked at him flatly, feeling so done.

I could not believe this idiot.

Did he bang his head somewhere?

Did my punch somehow affect his thought processes?

I shook my head.

Of course not. That would be impossible. This idiot was so hard-headed it would take great efforts to put some sense through his thick skull. Unless, if it's Basketball then he'd be a genius.

"Do I really need to repeat everything..."I mumbled to myself, massaging my temples.

"I don't know why you're getting  angry though, but you should be agreeing with me on that. Unless..."

I paused and looked at him. "Unless, what?"

He stared straight to my eyes, giving me this serious/solemn look, I was not really sure. When it came to this idiot, every expression was complicated to explain.

"Unless you like me."