10

Iwaizumi and Oikawa walked in silence under the rising sun of February. A month had passed since the defeat they never wanted. And yet, they hadn't talk about a single thing that had happened. That's why the ace was in the middle of battling whether he should ask Oikawa if he was really okay and if he had accepted that tragic event. Indeed, they were acting lovey dovey, cuddled and kissed each other and they weren't even lovers. No confession and no sort of label. But unlike before, they never got to talk about their personal lives. Oikawa would always change the subject. There was some wall in between their friendship. And as much as Iwaizumi wanted more than that, he didn't want to erase the comfortable feeling of telling each other's worries without any filter. Since the tournament happened, it was like things were changing bit by bit and he wasn't sure if it was really for the best.

At last, he mustered up some courage and called Oikawa for his attention in which the brunette answered with a smile. 

"About last month's tournament, have you... gotten over it?" Iwaizumi asked, curious. He waited for an answer, looking straight ahead. And when he never got one but silence, he looked at the brunette's face. Smile gone from his lovely face.

Oikawa let out an uncomfortable and forced laugh. "Why bother asking, Iwa-chan? We can't bring back the time. I'm sure that defeat means something..."

"And what is that? Because I know you let things easily get inside your head. Don't tell me..." Iwaizumi's tone was not liking the possible words Oikawa would mention.

"Like I'm not a good enough captain. That I wasted our teamwork, did not used it to the fullest and my injury got in our way," the brunette stated as if he was so sure of the words that came out. 

Iwaizumi's brows were creased as he pulled Oikawa to a corner. "It was not your fault. It was NEVER your fault," he almost yelled and yet he controlled his temper, for the setter's sake. Because, he was a sensitive one. 

"Then tell me, who should be blamed? When I'm the one who's supposed to lead us. When I'm the one with the greatest responsibility. Tell me, Iwa-chan!" Oikawa's voice broke half way but then he continued, "Because I could never sleep tight at night knowing that behind our teammates' smiles are their own miseries. Because of me!" He covered his face with his calloused palms.

"How sure are you? They have long accepted it. I talked with the guys and they were really concerned about you. You are the only one who's stucked with what happened. That's why I'm here to help. I'm always here." Iwaizumi whispered the last sentence as he wrapped his arms around Oikawa, who was already crying.

"I feel so worthless for not getting that last ball and for not comforting you all. When you pushed me away that day, I thought you were angry. I felt like you don't need me anymore or not as much as you needed me before," the brunette responded, in between sobs and his friend's hug.

With eyes full of concern, Iwaizumi hugged him tighter. "Tell me more, Tooru. Let it all out until there's nothing left. I'm here, okay? I'm listening," he said softly like he's talking to a child.

"I thought you hated me and you did not need me," Oikawa sobbed, there's fear in his voice.

"I need you more than anything. I.. I even l-love you," Iwaizumi stuttered. He wasn't ready for a confession and yet, his tongue gave out. He had never said I love you to anyone not until Oikawa. It all started with Oikawa.

"W-What?" The brunette was clearly as shocked as him.

Oikawa shook his head, "You can't. We can't. W-We shouldn't."

"What do you-"

"Tooru?" Iwaizumi was cut off by a woman's voice.

 Oikawa's mom stared at the pair of arms wrapped around her son's body, disbelief in her eyes.