t w e n t y - s i x

Long chapter ahead!

After getting over the inevitable cold we experience, we're back to seeing each other.

Time has certainly gone by quickly, because now it's somehow my last day of high school. I'm moving on from the stage of my life that's seen as formative by some, and dreaded by others.

For me, I'm thankful that I survived it. High school brought upon so many disastrous times for me, but I think that I also have a lot of sweet memories which I'll remember for the rest of my life. There really is no time like high school; where a bunch of growing and awkward teenagers are expected to learn together.

Now, we move on to the next stage in our lives where we have a bit of a better idea of who we are.

I'm walking through the halls and running into people who I'll likely never see again. The day is a bittersweet one. The blue and yellow walls I once saw as daunting are just that. Walls. What I was once terrified of will now be out of my life.

Elliot meets me along the way as I'm walking through the school hallways. No one is in class, and all of the seniors have resorted to doing whatever they want. Including me and Elliot.

They can't give this many students a detention, especially not on the last day of school.

Elliot goes on and on about how he's going to miss his precious boyfriend. He tells me how no one else could possibly relate to it.

I decide to let him have his moment, and I don't mention that I'm dating someone who I'm really going to miss. A lot of people are probably feeling that way.

Some people, like Elise, are clearly feeling that way.

When we walk past the group of sports obsessed people, I see her making out with her football player boyfriend as if it's the last time they'll ever see each other. He's this tall blonde guy with dull grey eyes that lack personality. I know this because I've shared a few classes with him and it's like talking to a brick wall. She had started dating him shortly after I awkwardly asked her about Tumblr.

I don't think I'll ever live down that embarrassment. That's why I practically run past her. That obviously annoys Elliot, and he tells me to slow down.

Next, we walk past the grand gym that's crowded by people. Some are students that I haven't seen since primary school. Some are idiots that I resent for being mean to me. Some are strangers that I never met and in reality, never will meet.

That saddens me.

There are so many people that can change your life but only by chance will you meet them. You could meet them in a class. Down the hallways. It could lead to a long friendship or it could lead to them being your worst enemy.

I don't dwell on it too long. Today should be a joyful day where we leave behind the memories of our home town. Except, I'm obviously sad to be leaving it behind. Of course, I'm also thankful to be leaving and escaping from this place.

At that moment, Zara bumps into me and rolls her eyes when she realizes it's me. She walks away without apologizing.

That's also why I'm thankful to be leaving.

We never spoke again after that horrible date at the movie theater, and I'm happier for it. Whenever we see each other, she always glares at me. I imagine that she's might still be frustrated with me over my rejection at times.

I'm over what happened between us, and I can't hold onto things like that. We had different priorities and needs, why doesn't she see that? Of course, she might know that, but she also might just want to continue ignoring me anyway.