t w e l v e

Even weeks later, I'm still determined to carry through with my impossible quest. Across this time, I spend more time with my family and start to see a sweeter side of my dad. Elliot becomes more understanding, and I even start to talk more with Marina.

Crazy enough, Marina has become more important to me. We exchanged numbers one day at school, and we text nearly every day.

At school, she's more open and speaks up often. Much to Elliot's disappointment, I've even started sitting next to her in class.

One Saturday morning, she sends me an eager text, asking me if we could go spend time together. I'm a bit surprised that she's the one to initiate this, since I always thought it would be me.

I ask her where, and she responds with a, "I have no idea. Any place would be great! As long as you're there."

I'm taken aback by the text, because the text seems a bit... strange. Marina is never that bold and the text is very close to crossing the line of 'friends,' and 'more than friends.' I ultimately decide that I'm looking too much into it though, and I send her a few suggestions of places to go to.

After everything that had happened, like the dream I had with her in it, I've been waiting for a chance like this. To advance our friendship, possibly into something more. I would be lying if I said I wasn't interested in her.

How could anyone not be interested in her?

  I would also be lying if I said that I'm not scared to get closer with her though.

I've been waiting so long to meet Sea and I've started to forget about her, but what if I shouldn't have?

My dream could easily turn into a nightmare if Marina turns out to be someone that I don't expect her to be.

Before I can dwell on it any longer, I hear the small bell that means I received another message. She says that a date at the movies would be nice.

"A date?" I ask myself.

If I had any doubts about her being possibly being straight, they are definitely gone now. Her text also means that not only is she not straight, she's also interested in me.

I smile to myself, feeling like I'm on top of the world. Or like I'm transported back into that dream where Marina and I nearly kissed.

As I start to get ready, I decide to send Sea a message.

daylightful | 11:24 pm
hey, we haven't talked in a while. i miss you

seaofhearts | 11:26 pm
i miss you too :) i'm going to be busy today but we can talk later?

daylightful | 11:30
yeah.. talk to you later

I'll admit that I'm disappointed we can't talk, but I quickly realize that I'm also supposed to be busy, which means we couldn't have talked for long anyways. Quickly, my sadness turns into joy when I think about getting to spend time with Marina.

I decide to change, and get ready for the event later today, even though it's early in the day. I put on black ripped jeans and a plain grey shirt, then I add on a green bomber jacket. Though the look is simplistic, it's me. I wear white slip on vans and when my brothers rush into my room to ask if I want lunch, I tell them that I'll be fine.

Soon enough, it's time for the movies. My last date at the movies went horribly, but I doubt that it will end the same way with Marina. I do my best to ignore any doubts that I hold, as I walk to the theater.

I catch sight of Marina and immediately feel butterflies starting to fly around in my stomach. I take a deep breath and tell her, "hi."

She turns to me, having not seen me a moment before, and says, "hey! I'm so happy to see you. For a minute I thought that you weren't coming."

"Why?" I ask, both genuinely curious and confused.

"You're three minutes late," she simply says, as if that explains everything.

"It's only three minutes," I comment.

"Better to be early than late! Do you want to walk inside now?"

She holds her hand out, waiting for me to hold it, which I gladly do. I take a moment to look at her and...

Wow.

Despite the cold weather, she's wearing a blue denim skirt. She seems to have decided that a medium length jacket will balance it out and she has a striped black and white shirt underneath. She has added on white converse to her outfit and is holding a brown shoulder bag.

I look at her face and she grins, gazing back into my eyes. I feel nervous under her stare but my eyes fall to her lips, which are as bold as the shade of the red dress that she wore in my dream.

"Well, let's get going," Marina says.

She holds my hand, slowly swinging it back and forth. The Marina that I had met that first day of school is gone. She's changed a bit, which even she says is because she's gotten to know me more. She's now comfortable with me.

As we're watching the movie together, I can't help but look at her for a few seconds.

The way she smiles at the friendship that the two main characters have. The way she laughs at the hilarious scenes that play out, like the one where the girl trips and the part where the characters show up to the wrong party. The way she points at the screen to tell me to look at a certain character and why they certainly must be the one who's been betraying the other characters. The way she starts to blush when a romantic scene comes back.

The way that she then leans in to kiss me.

I could ask for nothing better. I am perfectly content in that moment.

Though she is not what I expected with the disappearance of her school reputation, I've realized that I shouldn't expect anything of anyone. Besides, the unexpected may be what brings you the most joy.

And who could ever hate that?