t w o

When I enter my school, I'm overwhelmed by the amount of people there. Sure, I've always known my school is large but now that I have the goal in mind of finding Sea, it's shocking.

  I head to my locker where the usual crowd of people are hanging around. I shove through them and grab a textbook from my locker, immediately shutting it and walking out of the crowded area.

  The bright yellow and blue walls of the school colors seem daunting and when a group of freshman push past me, I resist the urge to yell at them. I don't want to be one of those seniors though so I try to maintain my calm aura and ignore the cheering of people behind me. Their screaming becomes obnoxious and right as I'm about to enter my first class, I finally turn around to figure out what all of the commotion is about.

  Of course, it's the group of cheerleaders and football players that are preparing for the first game of the season. I roll my eyes since I've never understood the huge deal around sports and I turn back around, walking to my seat.

  The usual people at my table are there, Martin, the name of this girl that I don't know, and my best friend Elliot who is supposed to be there. I shoot Elliot a text, asking him why he's late to class again.

  He responds back with a wink and says he'll be there in a minute. I shake my head at the thought of whatever Elliot has gotten into now. Ten minutes later, much to the anger of my teacher, Elliot greets him with a 'what's up?' and a sly grin.

  As he slides into his chair and eagerly tells me how he had been with Isaac, his long term boyfriend, he finishes buttoning up his colorful shirt and brushes away his hair. I quickly tell him to be quiet so I can focus on the lesson at hand. He frowns but says nothing more.

  At the end of class, our teacher tells us to have a small discussion with our table which cheers Elliot up, obviously having been waiting the entire period for the chance to talk more. My table and I engage in a conversation about the the literatures related prompt that my teacher had given us for but after the discussion dies down, Elliot takes it as a signal to start talking.

  I notice the girl at my table looking at me and I give her a smile, wondering what her name is so I can start a conversation with her. She's usually silent in class, excluding the times when we have to have class or table discussions but her ideas are always brilliant. She's wearing a cute red top that brings out her electrifying blue eyes, as well as gold colored earrings that match the shininess of her blonde hair.

She's sitting calmly, looking gorgeous in her outfit as she glances at the clock, most likely just wanting to leave already.

She had arrived to this school two weeks after the year began so I never got the chance to hear her name during the icebreaker games that every teacher forces us to play. Now that it's been nearly over a semester though, it would be random to just ask her.

  I interrupt Elliot's chattering and I decide to ask her anyways, "what's your name? I figured it'll be even more awkward to ask you later on so I might as well ask you now."

  "Marina," she says quietly.

  "That's a nice name. I'm Idalia," I tell her.

  She grins at that and says, "thanks, Idalia." 

  Elliot snaps and remarks, "Idalia! Focus back on me."

  The girl giggles and I let out a small laugh too, finding her bit of joy contagious. I give Elliot my attention and he evens directs a few words to Marina, loving that he can bask in the attention of more people.

Soon enough, class ends and Elliot follows me to my next class. He doesn't let me enter the classroom though, much to my dismay.

"Aren't you going to be late?" I ask.

"I don't care, you should know that by now," he says as if it's the most obvious thing in the world.

I sigh, and tell him, "goodbye."

He complains but ultimately, I enter the room without a care. I glance around at everyone, keeping in mind my quest, and I search for a possible suspect. One girl catches my eye but when I look down at her blue and gold uniform, I have to resist the urge to roll my eyes.

The cheerleaders at my school are not the kindest, and I'm not sure that she would use Tumblr. I try to keep an open mind though when she turns around, and I start to heard toward her but I pause, thinking about it for a second.

Am I seriously going to do this?

I sigh and quickly walk to my seat instead, deciding that I need to take another approach to this. I had never really payed attention to that girl but maybe I need to now. When the bell rings, our teacher starts to call our names to collect the attendance and the moment he finishes, someone walks in.

  He smacks his forehead and playfully, telling the girl, "ah, Zara, I knew you weren't absent. Just late."

  The girl is visibly annoyed and simply nods her head, strolling to the back of the room where her seat is. On the way there, we make eye contact and I feel a bit thrown off. She's gorgeous and her black leather jacket only enhances the strong vibes she's giving off.

I try not to think about it but at the end of class, these two girls are all I can think about.

Who is it?

I think about the cheerleader who I later, in class, found out is named Elise who had caught my attention in a strange way. Then, I began to wonder about Zara, the girl who I obviously connected with in that split second of eye contact. If we were friends on Tumblr, I believe that we would have some kind of connection like that.

  I feel utterly confused and when Elliot immediately comes to my side to walk me to my next class, I only feel worse. He notices my slight change in attitude and asks me about it, but I shrug it off.

  He doesn't need to know.

If he finds out about my small predicament, he will only gossip about it to someone else. This, I decide, is something that I have to work out on my own. I make a mental note that when I get home, I will work on this. I have a plan for once, and I will not give up until I find out who she is.