Chapter 1 ~ Running Away

All my life, during my stay with the Malfoys, there were times where I wanted to just black out. Most of the time, they involved Lucius.

This was one of those times where I wanted to black out, to erase everything.

I fell on the floor, spitting out blood after taking a punch from Lucius.

Then, he kicked me for spitting blood on his floor. "Clean it up!" he yelled at me.

"Get someone else to do it!" I replied while I was coughing up blood. I wiped it off my face and stood up.

I didn't want to clean it up, but I ended up doing it anyway. There was never a way around him, but his son Draco was worse, never doing anything to stop him. Oh, how I hated Draco and his stupid self. He was such an arse to me and my brother, Harry, and it had been that way ever since our first year at Hogwarts. We were now in our third year and nothing had changed. I went up to my room, packed my stuff, and went out the door. I slammed the door shut to make sure they heard me.

It was cold and wet outside. Clearly, I didn't think this through when I left the house. I had nowhere to go. The night was dark and quiet other than a scream that came from the distance. It wasn't close to where I was at. The more I kept walking, the more I realized that anywhere else was better than being with the Malfoys.

I kept walking along the curb, shivering and looking down at my feet. Finally, there was a bus stop close by. I saw a figure sitting on the curb by the bus stop. I looked closer and instantly realized it was Harry.

I went over and sat down right beside him. "Hey," I said.

"Hey." He gave me an awkward smile. "Lucius?" he asked, looking at my nose. I nodded. "What happened this time?"

I sighed. "He was just being an arse like always, Harry. Nothing new." I had to remind myself to properly clean up my face whenever I had the chance to do it. "Why are you out here?"

"Aunt Marge came over. She said some mean things about our parents and I might've blown her up a little. She floated away. Did you hear a scream by any chance?"

I chuckled and smiled at him. "That's what that was? I wish I was there to see it, or even help you with that, really. I'm sure it was a sight to see."

No matter what, Harry always got into trouble at the Dursleys. If only I was there with him, then we would cause loads of trouble. But no, I was stuck with the Malfoys, where they were my legal guardians. I never asked Dumbledore why he decided to put me on their doorstep. I had actually been wanting to ask him, but I never had the chance to do so. It seemed odd, not having us placed together under one roof.

All of a sudden, chills went down my back. I had a feeling Harry felt them, too. Well, of course, we were twins, duh. The wind was blowing a little harder and the swings were going back and forth a little faster. Everything around us was moving faster. Harry and I stood up, wondering what was going on. We both heard a growl coming from a bush and saw a pair of eyes looking right at us, ready to attack. We both fell over, tripping over the curb, staring at the eyes in fear. Suddenly, we heard the sound of a bus coming towards us.

The bus was moving very fast. Looked like somebody had a little bit to drink tonight. It was tall and skinny. When the bus stopped, a man was standing by the door, leaning against the side, looking like he hadn't had a shower in days. He probably smelled like it, too.

"Welcome to the Knight Bus," he said. "My name is Stan and I will be your conductor this evening." The man sighed and looked at us in confusion. "What are you two doing down there?"

"We fell over," I spoke up.

"What did you fall over for?"

"We didn't do it on purpose," Harry protested.

"Well, come on, then! Let's not wait for the grass to grow!"

I looked at Harry. "Should we get on?"

"I mean, we have nowhere else to go, do we?"

I nodded, knowing he had a point. "No, I guess not."

"We can go to the Leaky Cauldron. They've got some rooms there."

We went behind the bus, looking over at the bush where we saw the pair of eyes. I stood behind Harry, looking over and saw nothing there.

"Whatchoo lookin' over there for?" I jumped when I heard Stan speak up.

"Nothing," we both said at the same time.

"Well, come on, then!" Harry and I went over to pick up our stuff until he stopped us. "No, no, no, I'll get that, you go in now." I could tell that he was having a hard time picking up our trunks by the sound of him grunting behind me. Harry helped me on the bus and we looked at the beds with people in them sleeping.

"This isn't weird at all," I whispered in a sarcastic tone.

"Well, maybe the ride won't be too long," he whispered back. "Just ignore them."

They were all old people, snoring like there was no tomorrow. "Yeah, that's easier said than done, Harry."

"It'll be fine, Max."

I rolled my eyes and saw a newspaper on top of one of the tables, but Stan pushed us out of the way and we were unable to reach the paper. Once we were all in, he banged against the glass window and Harry and I jumped when we saw a little head hanging from the rear view mirror speak.

"Ayee, take it away, Ernie! It's gonna be a bumpy ride, ahahaha!"

And we took off instantly. This was going to be an interesting ride.

A/N: Hello!

So this is the first chapter of my story! I hope you like it so far, even though it's only chapter 1...

Also, please stop saying that Draco and Max are step-siblings, because they're not. I literally explain it in another author's note in a few chapters.

Comment, vote, it would really mean a lot! :)

-A