Chapter 17 ~ The Truth

"If you want to kill Harry and Max, then you'll have to kill us, too!" Hermione protested, standing in front of us.

"No, only one will die tonight," he said.

"Then it'll be you!" Harry and I yelled at the same time, pinning Sirius to the ground and pointing our wands in his face.

But Sirius found this funny. "Are you two going to really kill me?"

Suddenly, Lupin barged in and we turned around. "Expelliarmus!" he yelled and our wands flew out of our hands. He motioned us to get out of the way and we did. He moved closer to Sirius slowly, pointing his wand at him. Hermione grabbed us by the arms so we would stay away from Sirius.

"Well, well, Sirius, looking rather ragged, aren't we? Finally the flesh reflects the madness within."

"Well, you'd know all about the madness within, wouldn't you, Remus?" Sirius pointed out.

After a moment of silence, Lupin helped him up and hugged him? What the hell? Was this some kind of joke? This man was a murderer for crying out loud! And Lupin was his friend? Was I missing something here? The others looked confused as well, except for Hermione. She was furious, it looked like.

"I found him!"

"I know, Sirius."

"It's him!"

"I understand."

"Let's kill him!"

"NO! I trusted you! And all this time, you've been his friend!" Hermione shouted. Then, she pointed at Lupin. "He's a werewolf! That's why he's been missing classes!"

Lupin gave her a questioning look. "How long have you known?"

"Since Professor Snape set the essay."

"Well, well, well, Hermione, you really are the brightest witch of your age I've ever met," he told her.

"Enough talk, Remus! Come on, let's kill him!" Sirius cut in.

"Wait--"

"I DID MY WAITING! TWELVE YEARS OF IT! IN AZKABAN!" he yelled.

Lupin sighed and looked at him for a minute. Then, he looked at us. Harry and I were beyond pissed. We held it in for so long that in about thirty seconds we were about to burst. Ron was so scared, I thought he was about to cry, and Hermione had a worried look on her face. As if she didn't know what he was gonna do next. Or she didn't want to die.

Lupin gave him his wand, not taking our eyes off of us. Finally, he turned back to Sirius.

"Very well, kill him. But wait one more minute, Harry and Max have the right to know why."

"We know why," I said. "You betrayed our parents. You're the reason they're dead!"

"No, Max, it wasn't him. Somebody did betray your parents, but it was somebody who until quite recently, I believed to be dead!" Lupin said.

"Who was it, then?!" Harry shouted.

"Peter Pettigrew!" Sirius yelled. "He's in this room right now! COME OUT, COME OUT, PETER! COME OUT, COME OUT, AND PLAYYY!"

"Expelliarmus!" It was Snape who intervened. Now we were all screwed for sure. "Vengeance is sweet, how I hoped I would be the one to catch you," Snape said, pointing his wand at Sirius, then he pointed it at Lupin when he tried to stop him. "I told Dumbledore you were helping an old friend into the castle and now here's the proof!"

"Brilliant, Snape. Once again, you put your keen mind to the task and come to the wrong conclusion. Now if you'll excuse us, Remus and I have some business to attend to!" Sirius said.