It's Been Good

"Hey Artie!" Jack greets me at the end of the day, us meeting outside of the office. "How was your day?"

"It was good, J," I answer with another false smile, although unlike everyone else at this school, he knows me well enough to tell. 

"What happened?" 

"It's nothing, just a person who was less than happy to sit next to me," I explain simply, opening the office door to see Jasper Hale leaning on the counter, body stiff as Edward Cullen sits in one of the padded chairs, a smirk on his face. 

"Hi Edward," I greet, Jack, waving. At the sound of my voice, I can see Jasper tense even more, if that is even humanly possible. 

"Hello Artemis, Jack," Edward responds. 

It's now that I notice what Jasper and the secretary are talking about. He's trying to transfer out of our history class. 

This can't be because of me, can it?

"Nevermind then," Jasper states, standing up and straighter before continuing. "I can see it's impossible, thank you for your help." And without another word, he turns on his heel, motioning for his brother before leaving. 

"It's been great seeing you two, I'll see you both tomorrow," Edward says as a goodbye, leaving as the secretary turns her attention to J and I. 

"How did your first day go dears?" 

"It was great!" Jack exclaims. 

"It's been good," I answer, calmer than my brother.

And with that, we hand her our papers and exit the office, meeting Uncle Sam at his car. 

"You good, Artie?" He asks as I get into the back seat in near silence, only mumbling the words to the radio. 

"I just need some sleep," I  write off, him not seeming convinced as we take off, passing the Cullen's cars, me looking away swiftly.