Lonely Nights

Chapter 3

Cali Woods

The world seemed to stop as his large, rough hands gripped my waist and his knee placing itself between my legs to keep me from hitting the floor. His tall frame hovered over me and made me feel a sense of protection. His hazel eyes stared down at me, but he didn't say anything. He seemed as if he was star struck.

Regaining my composure I stood to my feet and fixed my dress, "I'm so sorry. I was watching," I gestured towards the girl with dreads, "her." I said a little breathlessly as he smirked down at me.

"I saw you earlier today didn't I?" He stood to his full height, no longer having to bend his knee to keep me up. His shirt was a little crinkled from where I had held a tight grip, but other than that he looked ravishing-I mean mouthwatering-Ugh. He looked well kept.

Blushing a little at the memory I nodded, "Yes you did. Sorry if you heard anything my friend said, she tends to ramble on and on about stuff. I mean not that anything she said wasn't true-because you look great but-"

"She rambles?" He asked, crossing his arms over his chest and leaning on the wall.

His muscles stretched his shirt and the small hallway seemed to have gotten smaller. And did they just turn the heat on?

I sheepishly looked down at my shoes, "She might have rubbed off on me."

He nodded his head, "Understandable."

I nervously giggled and outstretched my hand, "My names Cali. I'm a freshman here."

He grabbed my small hand and shot me a rather dazzling smile, "Dante Valentino. I'm a senior here."

"Senior?" I asked scrunching my eyebrows, "How old are you?"

"23." He said, raising an eyebrow at me.

I blushed and ran a hand across my face, pushing some strands of hair back where they belonged. Dante watched me as I did so but remained silent.

I shifted from foot to foot, "So do you live on campus or have an apartment?"

Wow, way to not sound like a creeper.

Dante cracked a smile, "I live in an apartment about a block down. Why? You planning on stopping by?"

Dante leaned closer to me and I felt the heat of his hand placing itself back on my waist. Is that what I intended to do? Stop by? I sucked in a breath but couldn't seem to step back or turn away. Dante searches my face and slowly moves his thumb against the fabric of my dress, and I can't seem to move then either.

"Is there something you came back here for?" Dante asked, his breath fanning my face, causing me to breath in his minty breath with a hint of cigar.

"I-I had to go to the bathroom." I stuttered, blushing under the heat of his gaze.

Dante leaned back, "Maybe you should go then. Wouldn't want you to wet yourself."

Did that comment have double meaning?

I brushed his comment off and side-stepped him, "No, we wouldn't."

I walked past him towards the bathroom door. My face was burning and my body was tingling from the close proximity of a very attractive male. Grabbing a hold of the door knob I turned my head. Dante was watching me, catching my stare he winked and turned the corner. Disappearing from my sight.

~~

The hippie was exiting the stage when I left the bathroom. She smiled at me and I caught the sight of a tongue ring, I shivered-my mind reeling back to Dante and his lip ring.

Entering the dining room of the bakery my eyes instantly searched for Dante. But he was no where to be seen.

My waist still felt like it was on fire due to his hands and my whole body felt tingly from his eyes. He was too much to handle...or even look at.

At Lily and I's table was a man about twenty sitting in my seat across from Lily. He was built well, muscles bulging from his shirt, his brown hair was tousled on top of his head and he had a well shaped beard, if anything, he looked perfect for Lily.

He was leaning on the table, his finger playing with Lily's long blonde hair. Lily giggled at something he said and ran her hand down his arm. The guy only grinned back at her.

I stayed where I was, not knowing what to do. Lily would be pissed if I ruined her moment. But didn't she have a date tonight?

I teetered from foot to foot and drummed my fingers on my thigh. What to do, what to do.

Just then I saw Lily's eyes catch mine. Her bright blue eyes lit up and she waved a hand at me, mouthing 'come here'. The guy sitting in my seat turned and looked at me. He gave me one look over then returned his attention back on Lily.

After making it to Lily's side I waved at the guy.

Lily giggled, "Cali, this is Daniel. The one I was telling you about."

My mouth nearly dropped open. So it is him, "Nice to meet you Daniel. I'm Cali, Lily's best friend."

"Not for long." Daniel said, winking at Lily.

Lily slapped his arm and giggled, "Be nice. She is literally my only friend."

Daniel smiled at her, flashing a set of perfect, white teeth. Lily smiled back at him and intertwined her hands with his. They began to stare at each other.

I cleared my throat, "I'm sorry to interrupt but I should get going. It's getting late and I have a ton of homework."

I gathered my drink and my box that contained my strawberry cheesecake.

Lily finally looked at me but didn't seem sorry, "Okay, have a good night girly."

After slinging my bag over my shoulder I turned to Daniel, "Nice meeting you."

He merely nodded at me and began to talk to Lily about some place in Arkansas, and how he grew up.

"I'll catch up with you later, Lily." Lily seemed to have not heard me so I nodded at both of them and walked out of the bakery. Neither seemed to notice me leaving, I sighed and continued walking to my apartment.

What was I expecting? For Lily to live forever alone and never date? I really need to stop being so naive and do something with my life.

I unlocked my apartment door that came with my scholarship and laid my bag on the door side table. I took a seat in my arm chair and kicked off my shoes. The day was coming to an end and the sky was turning a deep red. A sudden feeling hit me and it wasn't nice.

A feeling of loneliness.

+