Answered Questions

Chapter 37

Dante Valentino

Six Months Later

The Woods' cellars underneath Cali's fathers home was large and smelt of blood. The atmosphere was dangerous and walking into it you couldn't help but feel like your life was going to end too, even if you were doing the ending.

"Where is he?" I asked, rounding the cellar bars where Cali's father was standing around with older men.

Cali's father scratched is head absentmindedly and pointed towards a metal door. He didn't look once at me. I nodded my head to no one in particular, more like a reassuring gesture for myself than anything. I was about to see the man again who tried to take the only girl I loved away from me, and now he's lost and it's my chance to have a turn at his torture.

Cody sat on a metal bed with a single piece of bedding underneath the smallest window I've ever seen. It was impossible to reach, nearly six feet above my own height,"Enjoying the warm sun light? You've been down here for what? Six months?"

Cody motioned to the wall above his head where several tally marks were etched into the cement, "According to this, yes."

I gritted my teeth at his witty self, even when he was dying he still felt like he was doing us a favor.

"How's Cali doing?" His scratchy voice came.

I walked up to him, grabbing his tattered shirt, "Why do you care? She was just a toy to you."

Cody smirked, his white teeth now a sickening yellow, "A toy that would satisfy me in many ways."

I slammed his back against the cement, hearing a crack. I wanted to do so many things to him, like tear each limb from his body then slowly bleed him out. Cali hadn't seen this sickening side of me and I doubted she ever would.

"Why her? There's women out there whose job is just that, a toy. Why take a woman who'd fight?" I asked, in his face now, making my voice low and intimidating. I was holding myself back from killing him.

Cody shrugged, "There's reasons. Reasons that I didn't tell her father and sure as hell won't tell you."

"Why? Someone have your balls on a chopping board?"

Cody winced, "You could say that."

"Stop bullshitting and tell me, you're a dead man either way-why do you want Cali!" I could feel my face turning red with anger.

Cody stared up at me, his face emotionless, "Fuck you."

I raised my fist for it to only be pulled back by a pair of others. Mr. Woods pulled me back away from Cody, pushing me to the side, "We already know Dante, he's fucking with you."

"What?" I asked, trying to calm myself of my raging nerves. It angered me how he pushed me around when I was bigger and stronger, I only hoped he wouldn't find that out on a bad day.

Cali's dad stared at Cody as he spoke, "He already confessed."

I looked down at Cody whose face was still unreadable, "You were going to let me kill you?"