Ciao Bella

Chapter 38

Cali Woods

"I haven't been in a bathing suit in forever it seems, but it was only last summer." I said, picking up my plain black one.

Lily laughed, "It's because our lives have changed," she snaps her fingers, "like that."

I nodded in agreement, heading to the bathroom to change, "How's Daniel doing? I haven't seen him in a while."

"He's doing good, he's been really busy though, like Dante I assume. He comes home with these really dark circles under his eyes." Lily says, grabbing a pink bikini out of her purse.

""Dante's the same way, last night he showed up at midnight then left this morning before I woke up." I mumble sadly, remembering how he climbed into bed and pulled me to his chest so tightly and fell asleep before I even had time to blink,"Whatever's going on is definitely killing them, have you heard any news?"

Lily was silent for a while, "Nope."

I lifted an eyebrow but left it at that and returned to my room dressed in my bikini. Lily was dressed too, her hair pulled up in a bun with her tanned stomach protruding out a bit, "You're not very big, and you're six months along?"

She nodded, "Yeah, doctor said some mothers don't show until eight months, it's just different for every woman."

She walks to the balcony and looks out at Dante's back yard, "Rich motherfucker, Daniel doesn't wanna live in a house so we stay in penthouses...it sucks."

I giggle and follow her out, "You get room service and people basically clean your room for you. Dante doesn't have a maid so I'm left to clean it."

Lily shrugs, "I don't want to be a first time mom that's not able to walk her daughter up porch steps and into a nice wooden home. I always picture my home back in Arkansas and how cozy it was."

I pull her into a side hug, my hand resting over her belly, "Maybe he'll have a change in heart, don't worry. You're the pregnant woman so leave the worrying to Daniel."

Lily's face only lifted a little, but it was enough to make me happy. I haven't known her long but I know that she's a strong woman who'd do anything for a love one- she'd be a great mom, I just hoped Daniel would come to his senses and buy a house like Dante's.

"Well let's go, it's so hot in here." Lily suggests already walking past me and speed walking towards the stairs.

"Slow down, woman. I look like the pregnant lady here." I call after her, grabbing one of Dante's towels and following after her.

--

The sun beat down on our backs like it was trying to bake us, Lily was taking it all in but I couldn't help but worry about Dante. He'd been so distant these past six months and I hadn't  seen him all day. He was starting to scare me, only sitting down and eating in the kitchen after I had already eaten and was going to bed. He was constantly talking on the phone and taking personal calls, there were even nights when I didn't remember him coming home. I envied Lily a little because during her pregnancy she couldn't get Daniel to leave her alone and yet I couldn't get my man to even kiss me goodnight or acknowledge me in the mornings.

"You trying to burn that cup with your eyes?" Lily asks from her lounge chair beside me, "You've been staring at it for a good five minutes."

I blinked, trying to rid my thoughts and fixed my glasses on my face, "Sorry, just thinking."

"Well stop-"

A door slamming cut her off, causing our heads to turn and look towards the house.

"Should we hide?" Lily asks, placing a protective hand over her stomach.

I shake my head and take a sip of my lemonade, "The front door automatically locks when we close it, Dante and I are the only ones with a key."

Lily sits up and slaps my knee, "This is your chance, he's finally home! Go use that great bod of yours and get some."

I giggle and shake my head, ignoring the sound of his leather shoes against the hard wood floor, it meant he was getting closer to the back door,"He can come get me. The silent treatment always works."

Lily rolls her eyes and sits back in her chair just as the back door opens, my heart starts racing as I can basically feel him nearing. A large, warm hand grabs my bare shoulder lightly, I slowly look up and lower my glasses, "Hey, babe..." I draw out, meeting his dark eyes.

Lily snorts beside me and mumbles something about the silent treatment. I mentally scold myself knowing he has a power over me that he doesn't even know. Seeing him with his gelled back hair and tanned skin had me melting. How'd he keep a tan when he stayed inside more than I did? it must be those Italian genes.

"Sei arrabbiata?" His deep voice asks in his native tongue, his hand running down my arm and grabbing my hand.

I yank my hand from him and cross my arms across my chest, staring out across the pool," I don't speak Italian, Valentino."

I can practically feel his frustration, as he speaks to Lily, "Daniel's inside."

Lily gives a thumbs up, catching the hint and wraps a towel around herself, padding her tanned feet towards the house. Once the door is shut Dante takes her seat and moves it closer to me, "I asked if you were mad but the answer is obvious, no?"

I turn towards him and scowl, "Well you shouldn't know much, Dante. I haven't talked to you in nearly six months."

Dante frowns, looking even more attractive than anyone could possibly get, "That's not true, I talked to you last night."

I roll my eyes, draping my towel over myself, seeing his eyes roam my body, "Yes, I recall. In fact I remember every thing you said. 'Ciao, Bella. How are you?'" Then you walked your sexy little ass up the stairs and feel asleep...without me beside you." 

A wicked smile dawns across his face as he stands and leans over me, "Is that why you're mad?" He scoops my lower back in his hands and lifts me up off the seat a little, "Because I wasn't there to grab your cute little ass as you fell asleep."

I slap his chest, not being able to keep a smile from reaching my face, "Asino."

He smiles widely, flashing me his beautiful dimples and white teeth, "So you know a little Italian, yes? You called me a jackass."

I grab his tie and bring his face close to mine, "I know what I called you. I pick up on stuff every once in a while."

He grabs my butt and takes my mouth in his, his tongue battling with mine. I sigh happily into his mouth and catch his bottom lip in between my teeth as he pulls back. His eyes darken with lust, but our moment is suddenly interrupted  as Lily bursts through the back door, "Tell her why you're here, Dante."

I look at her a confused, my arms still wrapped around Dante and his hand still gripping my ass, "What?"

Dante sighs, as if what he came here for was not for me. I frown and pull myself from him, "What is it."

"Nothing really bad, it's good news actually." He says, trying to lighten the mood and distract me by untying my bikini top.

I swat his hand away, grateful that Lily had went back inside, I could see her through the glass talking with Daniel in the kitchen, "Cut to the chase, I should've known you weren't here just to make up for your behavior."

His face falls, "Cali, don't be like this. Do you not think I haven't noticed my absence? I've missed your little body." He jokes.

I frown harder, trying to get the point across. I wasn't ready to deal with his shit.

"Cody's dead."