Goodbye

Chapter 35

Dante Valentino

My heart dropped at Cody's deal. The old me would have said yes in no time, especially in exchange for the killer. But the me now, stopped. Cali had changed me drastically over the few months that I was with her and I couldn't help but consider her in every decision I made.

Now was different though. If I traded her if find the killer and she would be put out of harms way. So maybe it would be the best thing to do.

I looked over at Cody, my eyes watering a bit.

I had made my decision.

Cali Woods

The door to my room creaked open. Dante had taken me back to his house. At least the one I was familiar with. He seemed tended and drawn back, as if he was hiding something from me. He was no doubt going to see Cody, I had learned that by annoying Blake enough to give me a hint.

Zeus jumped on the bed, tucking his head underneath my arm, nudging my hip. He seemed to be in stress, his tail tucked between his legs. The front door slammed downstairs, rattling the windows in Dante's bedroom. I sat up, clutching the bed sheets to my chest.

An image of Cody barging in with his men and guns flashed through my mind and I found myself melting underneath the sheets. Footsteps approached my door slowly, drawing out the eeriness of the night and mood. Slick black shoes was the first thing I saw then a perfectly tailored suit. The man in the suit made my heart drop.

Dante stood in the door way, the moon the only light leading into the room.  He stood hunched, almost as if he was about to fall over from exhaustion. His face was still hidden in the shadows, "Dante?" I whispered, not expecting a quick answer, "You're scaring me."

He slowly put one food in front of the other, making his way slowly to me. His face finally came into view. My my heart lurch from the sadness there. I stood from the bed, Zeus had disappeared somewhere in the house. I pulled his old shirt down to cover my bottom and stood in front of him, eye level with his ribs. I found myself a little reluctant to meet his eyes. Scared, so scared of the answers hidden there.

He touched me before I touched him, tilting my chin up, "Why are you crying?" His deep voice shook my body.

I wiped away a tear that had unconsciously fell, "Because I know something's wrong."

Dante placed a soft kiss to my lips, it felt like it'd be the last time, "Can I have you tonight, Cali?" His minty breath fanned my lips, "Before I never get to hold you again."

He hadn't told me what was happening but deep down I knew it. Something my father had hinted at me for years.

I nodded my head, saying my own goodbye as my lips connected with his.

~

Lily Jones

I awoke, my eyes reluctantly opening. It felt as if I had been asleep for years. Someone squeezed my hand but I couldn't quiet meet there face, a bright light was blinding me from above making me squint and groan.

A beeping sound caused my attention to shift, turning my head towards the noise. It was a heart monitor, a lady with graying hair standing next to it, looking straight at me.

"How are you feeling?" She asked, her soft voice making my ears ring. I groaned again and turned my head the other way, towards the hand squeezing mine. It was masculine, a familiar tattoo running down his knuckles. I looked up and met the eyes of Daniel. His eyes were wide and blood shot, his clothes wrinkled and stained. The same clothes he was wearing on our wedding night: when I passed out.

"What happened?" I mumbled, reaching my hand up to his scruffy cheek.

He smiled lazily, placing his tanned hand over mine, "Why didn't you tell me you were sick?"

I scrunched my eyebrows together, "What?"

"You were dehydrated when you arrived, miss," the lady spoke, "And underweight. Which isn't good in your state of condition."

My head pounded with the news, "My condition?"

Daniel kissed my palm, drawing my attention to him, "Baby, you're pregnant."

+