Old Classmates

Chapter 21

Cali Woods

"It still looks the same." I said, as I looked out the car window and at the diner.

My mother spun the wheel as she drove up to the diner and found a parking spot, "You've only been gone for six months, babe." My mother laughed a little.

I smiled weakly, "I know, it feels longer though."

My mother looked over at me with tired eyes and patted my hand, "I bet Donna screams when she sees you."

I smiled spread across my lips as I thought of the sixty year old ball of energy. She was like another mother to me after the divorce. I sought the comfort of the diner and her as my parents were splitting. She was the first person I told about me going far away for college.

My leather boots became shiny as large droplets of snow fell from the sky. It had began sticking to the grass, I noticed, as my mother was driving here, "Is there suppose to be a bunch?" I asked, motioning to the cold, white flakes as they hit the ground.

My mother nodded as she adjusted her scarf and locked the car door, "Enough to keep us in our houses. But, that's what they said past time and it didn't even stick to the roads."

I raised an eyebrow, "So I could be snowed in?"

My mother shrugged, and walked into the diner, me following behind her. The smell of apple pies and roasted chicken captivated my senses and I found myself closing my eyes in content. I had missed this diner, I had missed home.

My mother and I sat at a booth in the middle of the diner. Strange enough, the diner was packed even during this weather and time of night. A group of people my age were sitting at the counter. Elders were off towards the back with their companions as kids and parents were placed at the front near the windows. Were were centered in it all.

"Calista Woods! Is that you?" I was suddenly engulfed in someone's arm before I had a chance to sit down.

The familiar smell of strawberry soap helped me place a face, "Hi, Donna." I turned in her arms and wounded my own frail arms around her. Her skinny body was a break from all the masculine bodies I had been experiencing lately.

I blushed at the memory of Dante holding me tight against his body as he kissed me. I wondered what he was doing now?

"Long time no see, doll," Donna said, snapping me out of my daze, she held me back at arms length, "You're looking rather skinny and pale. You been getting out much?"

I looked towards my mother who was sitting down and looking over the menu. Paying no attention to the two women hugging right beside her, "Yes, I have. Staying away from home takes getting used to when someone's not making you chocolate cake all the time." I teased, giving all my attention back to Donna.

Donna smiled, her wrinkles stretching. She was my sense of familiarity since I retuned home, "How is Ohio treating you?" She asked, a serious tone etched into her voice.

"It's been rather cold, I'm used to the sunny and seventy-five weather here all year round. But I'll get used to it." I said, remembering how my hometown would play in the beach in the middle of March.

Donna laughed and patted my cheek, "You could always come back home."

She had no idea how bad I wanted too.

Donna left me after asking about the bakery I always went to and if there cheesecakes tasted better than here. Of course I replied no.

I took a seat across from my mother who had replaced her menu with her phone again. That wrinkle stretching across her forehead again in concern.