Can't Hide Forever

Chapter 34

Lily Jones

night of Amelia's wedding

"I hope Cali's okay." I said, speaking my thoughts as I watched cars pass underneath Daniel's apartment window.

Daniel was seated on the bed watching me pacing back and forth, worrying about my best friend, "She's fine," He said, easing my mind, "Dante said she's fast asleep right now. She's safe, Lillian."

"I hate when you call me that." I mumbled, biting down on my fingernail.

I saw Daniel frown through the glare of the window, "What?"

"Lillian, I like Lily better."

"I'm sorry, I'll stop calling you-"

"My parents only called me Lillian when I messed up. Which was the majority of the time-the name just leaves bad memories." I confessed, leaning my head against the window.

Daniel stood, making the bed creak and wrapped his arms around my waist. He smuggled his nose against my neck.

"I haven't told her yet." I whispered, twirling my engagement ring on my finger.

Daniel placed a kiss along my collarbone, "Told her what?"

"That we're getting married," I sighed, "I'm such an awful friend."

Daniel cupped my cheek with his hand and ran his hand across my bottom lip, "You're not an awful friend, everything's been going in fast forward-every thing is a mess now. It's just not time."

I bit my fingernail and looked back out the window, my eyes watering in fear for my best friend, "She's all I have, Danny. She's my only family."

Daniel laid his head on top of my head and sighed, squeezing my waist, "Then she'll understand. It's Cali-she's dealt with harder news."

"Like her parents getting a divorce." I mumbled.

Daniel nodded, remaining silent.

After a moment of holding each other and listening to each other's breaths Daniel spoke, "Do you know anything about her past?"

I sucked in a breath, almost saying what was on the tip of my tongue. Could I tell him? My future husband? Cali had a strange past that she had only told me-saying she needed to get it off her chest. Maybe telling someone else would help more than I ever could.

"Will you help her?" I questioned, tilting my head back.

"Of course."

"She didn't grow up easily. Said her father was always breathing down her neck to do better, her mom's presence almost non-existent. He wasn't a good man, he..."

Daniel stared down at me with his blue eyes, pleading me to continue.

But I couldn't-I couldn't get it off my tongue. Because before I could speak I passed out.

~

Dante Valentino

"Where is he?" I questioned Blake after dropping Cali off at my house. I was reluctant, especially after what happened but Daniel said there was an emergency he had to tend to and Blake was dealing with Cody.

My gut clenched when Blake pointer down the hall to the only rusted door left. It led to the basement where my dad would 'rid' of the men.  I had always refused to go down there but now adrenaline was kicking in and my mind told me to kill the bastard that threatened Cali's life: the only girl I will ever love.

"He's not speaking, Dante. Says everything he knows will only be said to you."

I ran my hand over my fave on exhaustion and nodded, "Good. Means he's willing to give up even if he doesn't know it yet."

Blake nodded, giving me a knowing look and unlocked the basement door, leaving it wide open for me. I had always had nightmares growing up of this simple dark room. Only seeing it once when I was six. But, this time fear was bothering me; it was the feeling of knowing something bad was about to happen.

Cody sat tied to a chair, his wrists bound by the metal chair and left foot laying lazily over his right knee. He looked up at me as he heard the metal door slam, a wide grin spreading across his face, "Hello, Valentino. Nice to see you again; although I wish the brunette beauty was by your side, "He gave me a wicked smile, "I guess you finally ridded of the bitch like you did the last one."

I returned his smile with a devilish grin, "Speaking of her again I see? The last one I tend to forget her name, could you remind me? You two were close; if I remember right."

Cody shot up, the metal chair screeching across the concrete, his teeth were clenched as he talked, "I guess Cali's worth more value so you keep her around."

I shook my head, taking a seat across from him, "We both know Cali is worth so much more than we actually speak of. It's quiet amusing how you always fall in love with the enemy's girl."

Cody turned his head away from me and stared blankly at the wall, old memories and feelings returning to his blue eyes.

I had hit a nerve and everything I planned was working, "So why, why kill her?"

Cody clicked his tongue and looked back at me with an unreadable expression, "I do what pays good money."

I remained silent, making sure whatever he said didn't effect me. I leaned in closer, using my structure to intimidate, "Was that a joke or are you serious? Whose paying you to kill a gang members daughter?"

"You'd laugh if I told you."

I gave him a hard look, sitting up straighter, "Try me."

Cody shook his head and looked down at his attire, rubbing his hands down his sleeve, dusting his shirt, "I'm also getting my life protected by not telling you, so i'd like to keep it to myself."

I stood, my chair flying back and hitting the wall, I gripped him by his tux collar and brought his face closer, "Tell me who's out to kill her or I'll make you."

Cody raised an eyebrow, "Someone seems a title too much concerned for some girl. What's changed in you, Valentino."

"Maybe common sense." I shook him for emphasis.

Cody smiled up at me, "Untie me and I might just...spill."

"I'd rather torture it out of you then wait for you to finish bitching."

Cody lifted up a finger off the chair, as if he'd forgotten he was tied down, "I have a better idea: I tell you who's trying to kill her if you trade me something."

I released his color and stepped back, "What? Money?"

Cody shook his head, a devilish smirk coming back, "Her. I want Cali."

SORRY ITS BEEN FOREVER

New updates should be coming more frequently. About ten more chapters till this book is over! Get ready for some tears and heart ache!