Introductions

Chapter 5

Cali Woods

The music was loud and the ground was shaking. My own heart was beating loudly in my ears due to the alcohol and the number of people. Although I had only one drink my head was pounding and all I could think about was taking a hot shower to get these random people's sweat off me. Also, I could hear my bed calling me.

Amelia and Lily had yet to return to my side. Amelia and Cole were sitting in a couple of lawn chairs out back with some of Cole's old high school friends. Lily, though, was with Daniel in the middle of the dance floor doing some dirty dancing. I had to turn away multiple times because I thought they needed a moment of privacy. Others seemed to have the same idea.

Someone opened the back door nearly hitting me from where I was leaning up against the wall. A breeze from outside tickled my exposed skin and had me sighing, maybe I just needed some fresh air. I grabbed a cup of water and caught a hold of the door after some boys walked out with pool floaties.

The backyard was much quieter than inside of the house. A massive pool was behind the sorority and hidden with massive oak trees and a garden. A few people were lounging in the pool and some were passed out on the concrete with their hand dipped in the water. I spotted a black haired, blue eyed girl who worked at 'Cupcake Kisses' who was passed out in a lawn chair, one shoe off and one shoe on. Her hair was ratted on top of her head and her face was streaked with running mascara. Like maybe she had been crying.

"Cali! There you are!"

I adverted my eyes from the drunken girl and looked in the direction of the voice, sitting around a fire place in patio chairs was Amelia and three more guys with a lady who didn't look very happy. I smiled at Amelia who was waving me over. She patted the chair next to here with her free hand that wasn't holding onto Cole's.

I quickly closed the distance between us and took a seat, letting out a relieved sound from the pleasure of resting my sore feet. I kicked off my heels and turned to Amelia, "Having fun?"

Amelia giggled and laid her head on Cole's shoulder who was in a deep conversation with a light haired boy I've never seen before. His eyes were a light blue, he had high cheekbones and long lashes that rested on his cheeks when he blinked. He caught my gaze and smirked.

"So much fun. I saw Lily doing the dirty on the dance floor a second ago. Thought you might be in there joining her." Amelia joked.

I made a noise in the back of my throat and took a sip from my cup, "You know me. I like to take it down a notch rather than taking one up."

Amelia smiled at me and picked her head up from Cole's shoulder. Cole nodded in acknowledgement towards me and I smiled back. Amelia gasped and gripped my hand, "Cali, this is Cody. The one Lily wanted you to meet."

Cody stretched his arm across the table, I stuck my hand in his with no hesitation and smiled when he winked at me. He playfully smirked back and perked up in his chair, "Very nice to meet you, Cali. Lily's always talking about you."

The woman sitting next to him rolled her eyes and flipped her red hair over her shoulder, "It's true. And we've only hung out with her twice and all we hear about is you and your lack of socialism."

I blushed and leaned back in my seat letting my hair fall over my face to try and hide me. It was obviously my time to back out of the group...and my bed at home was practically yelling for me now. The other male that I've never seen before placed his hand on the red headed girls thigh, "Baby, be nice."

His eyes were a bright green and was even brighter due to his bleach blonde hair. He had a muscular build and was wearing a surfing shirt. He smiled at me nicely and stuck out his hand, "My names Kyle. It's very nice to meet you. This is my girlfriend, Sam, who is being pissy because she has a headache."

I smiled at them both, "Nice to meet you guys, and it's understandable."

Sam raised an eyebrow at me then shrugged, as if she had just allowed me access into her group. Cole and Amelia stood from their seats and gripped each others hands, "It was nice catching up but we've got to go. Cole and I have a meeting in the morning for our wedding venue." Amelia said turning on her heel and basically dragging Cole off of the property.

Sam huffed and stood up as well, "See, babe. Everyone's leaving and I'm really tired. Can we please go home?"

Kyle rolled his eyes and stood up as well. He stood at a good 6'1, towering over Sam by at least a foot. He obviously stood very taller than my 5'3 frame. He smiled at me and draped an arm over Sam, "See you later, Cali."

"See you later." I said waving my hand at them. Sam was already high-tailing it out of there. By the time she was at the gate Kyle was just turning around. He quickly jogged up to her and smacked her butt causing a squeal and a punch from Sam. Kyle erupted in laughter and began playfully grabbing at her, Sam ran out of the back yard and towards her car laughing. I smiled at the couple, I, for one, have never had a relationship like that. Every date that I had would try touching me on the first date and it wasn't my ideal motive. Touching wasn't a big thing of mine, obviously Cody didn't know that because he reached out and patted my hand.

I raised an eyebrow at him, "You leaving too?"

Cody shook his head and placed both of his feet on top of the table and stretched his muscular arms. I couldn't help but stare, but they oddly enough didn't look like someone's and I felt like it wasn't enough. But who was I thinking of?

Cody smirked as he caught my ogling, "So, Cali, what are you going to college for?"

I crossed my arms over my chest and cleared my thought of the mysterious man that was in my mind but I couldn't exactly place a face to, "To be a vet. I love animals."

Cody nodded his head, "I'm allergic to cats and dogs have the tendency to bite."

Strike one. Note: he likes to talk about himself and he's a complainer.

I mentally took the note down in my head, "Well, animals aren't for everyone."

We sat in silence for a while. Cody occasionally taking a sip of beer or looking at me for a long period of time and me trying to figure out the guy I was thinking of.

A couple of people walked by with nose and lips rings.

And then it hit me.

I was thinking of Dante. My cheeks heated up as I thought of our encounter and I felt myself wanting his touch again. His calloused hands that had touched my waist felt as if they were back as my stomach erupted in butterflies. I wanted Dante and the fact scared me.

Cody broke me from my thoughts when he suddenly stood up, "I'm getting bored. I'm gonna go home, goodnight."

Strike two. Note: he's not interested.

+