The Calm Before The Storm

Chapter 27

Cali Woods

"Isn't this a little too small?" I questioned Lily who was sitting cross legged on her bed applying makeup.

Her smoky eyes lifted to mine, "It's a ball gown; it's suppose to be like that."

I rolled my eyes at her bluntness and turned a hundred and eighty degrees in the mirror to look at my exposed back, "Ow." I whimpered as the itchy material rubbed my back.

"Do you even know what this is for?" I asked.

Lily shrugged her shoulders, "Didn't your boy toy tell you?" Her voice wavered as she spoke. Something she did whenever she wasn't telling me the complete truth.

"No," I paused, taking a look at her, "He said it was for his business and they ran it yearly. What did Daniel tell you it was for?"

Lily paused, obviously thinking of a careful answer, "Same thing, but I don't care. We get to finally go to a decent party!"

I gave Lily a false smile, she was definitely not telling me something. Was this ball such a secret that my own friend couldn't even tell me the reason for attending it?

I brushed it off and sat down on the edge of the hotel bed. The ball was in less than an hour and I was already completely exhausted. After our make up Lily and I chatted and caught up on things we've been keeping secret from each other. Apparently Daniel and her had already..done it and she was surprised that Dante and I haven't.

The Lily I loved seemed to be slipping away day by day and I wanted to favor these last moments with the true Lily. Not that I believed Daniel was changing her for the worst but that he was changing her into a grown and mature lady that her aged people should act like. He was changing her for the better and I couldn't help but savor the Lily I knew now.

Lily appeared from the walk in closet in a curve fitting mermaid dress. She looked more modern than I did but she said Dante would fall head over heels with me if I wore this exposed ball gown, so how could I say no?

Lily twirled in her spot and shot me a toothy grin, "We're gonna be the hottest bitches there." Her southern voice was filled with enthusiasm that I currently wasn't hosting.

My nerves, of course, were getting the best of me, and quite frankly I couldn't wait to see Dante. He had only checked up on me once today. Leaving me to yearn for him even more.

I watched Lily as she fixed her hair in the mirror, "Are you not nervous?"

Lily shook her head, her expensive earrings swaying back and forth. Daniel, with no doubt, bought them for her, "It's a party. Am I ever nervous for a party?"

I shook my head and giggled at my spontaneous friend, if it wasn't for her I wouldn't be able to survive college any longer.

I fidgeted with my fingers as I picked up my dress to look at my heel clad feet, "I just feel like something bad is going to happen."

Lily rolled her eyes at me and grabbed a hold of my hand, she gave me a light tug, "Come on, Debbie Downer, let's not keep our men waiting.

~

The hotel was alive with many elegant dressed men and women. Large men, the size of Dante were strolling around the lobby with a model attached to their hip. I assumed they were models, due to their magnificent bodies and faces.

My mood just kept slipping.

Lily didn't seemed fazed by the women or intimidating men. As soon as we stepped out of the elevator she spotted Daniel and fast walked to him. He smiled brightly at her as she wounded her arm around his and went off into a conversation. I just hoped everything went well with the two.