Hometown

Chapter 20

Dante Valentino

"Where've you been, boy?" Roy, my leader asked.

I gritted my teeth, "Out. Don't worry, I'll be back in time for dinner."

"Don't play with me, son," Roy threatened, "It won't turn out good for you."

I smiled, empty threats was all the old man was ever good at, "I'm doing what you assigned me to do."

Roy laughed on the other end, "I gave you two. What's the lead on the blonde boy?"

I sighed and stood from my seat, heading towards the bathroom of my private plane. My suspicions were that Cody bugged my ride, so I went somewhere more private, "He's keeping tabs on Calista Woods. I ran into him the other night. Didn't have much to say after I kicked his ass."

"Boasting now, are we Dante? I want everything you have on the Adami's."

"Will do, sir." I replied ending the call and tucking it in my pants pocket.

I would never escape from him. My dad, Roy, would always be tied to me. I couldn't leave, so why try?

I left the bathroom and took a seat, deciding to check on Cali.

I scolded myself for being so soft. She had left an impact on me, but she was my mission-no more.

Only thirty more minutes and I'd be right where she was.

Cali Woods

We arrived at my house at dark. My country home beamed against the moonlight and caused my heart to flutter. I had came back to visit on Christmas, two months ago, but it felt like forever.

A cow moo'd in the distance.

"Where's Buster?" I asked my mother, who was texting someone.

My mother looked up at me, "Probably in the barn."

I nodded my head and grabbed my bags, hauling them over my shoulder and walking up the porch towards the front door. The doorstep mat was torn and dirty. My mother was never the one for outside work-after my dad left she did a little to nothing around the house.

The cow bell wrapped around the door knob jingled as I pushed it open.

The smell of apple pie and summer nights reached my nose. Apple pies my grandma made and the summer nights we spent chasing lightning bugs.

I looked over my shoulder at my mom, her phone was pressed between her shoulder and ear as she grabbed the papers from the back and shut the door. Her face was hard with concern, making the faint wrinkles on her face more evident.

Barking broke me from my thoughts. I whipped my head around towards the back door. Busters large form was jumping up and down, his tail whipping back and forth. He was looking right at me with his tongue sticking out of his mouth.

I dropped my bags by the staircase and ran towards the back door, dodging the dining table.

I swung open the door just in time to catch Buster as he kept towards me. Obviously, I didn't catch him, he landed on my lap as I went tumbling to the ground. He leapt on me again, licking my face and barking happily. I scruffed his fury head and placed a kiss on his nose, "Hi, Busty! How have you been?" My voice became higher as I talked to him, causing his tail to wag faster.

"I see Buster found you."

I looked up to see my mother with a smile on her face. Her phone was gone, her purse resting on her shoulder and papers in her hand. "Go put your things up then we'll go grab a bite to eat in town. Ellie's is still open-I know you love that place."