Against Sensibilities

A.N.: This is a Regency fic (period piece) I've worked on last year to which I was hoping would be a 3-5 chaptered fic, although I've never really gotten to finishing it cause yanno jumping here and there with the ongoing ones and prompts in my head I seem to have forgotten about it.

Lol,okay... anyways, since I've been on hiatus for some time I'll place a chapter here as a one shot so I won't feel as guilty for taking so long at updating Fix You. So uhmm... Enjoy?

Also this is Companion!Lisa; think Fingersmith or probably Handmaiden?

__________

___________

___________

The small fire in the hearth had become quite the necessity as the months have grown colder and colder up north. Occasional rain had drowned out the usual dull clamor that occupied the house during the day. Not that it was something Lisa missed, it was by all means something she was thankful for.  All the uproar was from the upcoming dinner it seems, a cause for celebration for the people in the estate. Lisa dreads the stretch of time she will most likely spend in the company of fawning sycophants, she had little patience for people of false pretenses and finds proud, patrician faces to be repulsive. 

She feels Jennie stir from the chaise lounge she was reclining indolently from, and turns around in time to catch her mistress looking at her with a hard set expression. 

“Tell me what you think of Schubert.” Lisa finds it odd, the question seemed so out of context.

“Schubert?”

“Yes.” She sits up straighter and reaches for her glass of wine. Keeping eye contact with Lisa through the rim of the glass. 

“Why the sudden interest if I may ask?”

“Well… I heard you playing one of his compositions in the drawing room yesterday. All these arrangements over some silly old dinner for my birthday is quite exhausting and I’ve had enough of afternoons spent idly through fittings for a gown that I will have no heart for… so tell me, why are you so taken with his works?”