Late Night Legal Talks

Prosecutor!Jennie and Defense Lawyer!Lisa...
Hahahah I tried?

Disclaimer: I have no formal education in law, only my love for legal thrillers and anything legal actually. So if anything is incorrect, let me know :). Enjoy?

___________

The lights were off, except for the one in the hallway which she always kept on. She likes looking at the white streaks on the floor overflowing from the open door, as she sat on the executive chair inside her home office. Her desk was littered with case logs and court summons and other official documents that she needs to work on, except she wasn’t really in the mood. Not when she spent the entire day in the courtroom against that stupid defense attorney. Jennie rubbed her temples, she could feel the creeping headache and wanted none of that tonight.

Jennie picked up a sample case, something to help her with the current case she’s working on. Not that she needed it, she knew most of everything if not everything about it if she was being honest and not so humble. It was mostly for keeping her entertained for the night and her mind off that cocky Lisa Manoban. How Lisa found herself defending a person tried for homicide was beyond her. It was, Jennie thinks, beyond her for people who took up law to find themselves defending criminals. Granted the money was good, but seriously, lawyers were supposed to uphold the law and ensure justice was given to the oppressed, defending a murderer was far from it. 

And Jennie hated that smirk. 

She poured herself another glass of scotch, something to chase away the infuriating anger that was building inside her. 

Knock … knock…

Wait… was she expecting someone tonight? 

Jennie glanced over to her desk calendar and went through her notes for the day.

Funny, there was nothing scheduled. None… 

She glanced at her phone and saw it was almost midnight. 

Knock… knock… 

Okay, maybe it was Jisoo. But what would her partner need from her at this godforsaken time? She had a copy of all the case notes with her. 

Jennie hated dragging herself from her chair when she was working. Drinking, more like. 

Knock… knock…

“For fuck’s sake Im coming!”

Jennie opened the door and could feel her jaw go slack, well this was a surprise.

“Hey…”

The Lisa Manoban was standing in front of her door, holding champagne and a silly grin on her face. Her brown hair looked darker from the lack of light and Jennie could see how her bangs shone against the light that escaped from the open light from her hallway.

“Aren’t you going to invite me in Ms. Prosecutor?” 

God, she hated that voice. 

“What do you want?”

“Oh, being shot down already. I’m here to apologize.” She had her left hand up in defeat.

She didn’t wait for Jennie’s response and walked herself inside, taking her time moving past Jennie and making sure her skin ran against Jennie’s bare arm, making her hold her breath. 

“I’m not really in the mood to talk Lisa.”

“Look, I took one look at you during the proceedings and knew I struck a nerve. He’s innocent unless proven guilty, remember?”