Slow Dancing Against the Kitchen Light

Summary:
Because every moment with you is both ordinary and special

or

they talk and dance and Lisa's just very much in love

Notes:
For cottagecorekim
I don't think I can thank the universe enough it has you in it, but I try everyday.

____________

She likes watching spots of light dance against her skin, thinks, that somehow that's one of the few favorite moments she has of her. There, existing, beneath the bare warmth of the sun and all the little promises it holds and traces on her skin. And yet they’re both here—in the darkness of their apartment kitchen, where she watches her hold on to a glass of sangria, the entirety of her blending in with the midnight blue of the late evening and the slivers of moonlight through the barely open window. It’s not much really, just another ordinary evening shared between them and yet the darkness feels more comforting than usual tonight.

“Penny for your thoughts?” her voice cuts through the lull of the evening and all Lisa could think about is; you.

“You.” she says after a beat, smiling at her furrowed brows.

“Isn't it a little too early to be this tipsy?” there’s a hint of fondness in her voice, something she longs for after a long day at work. That thought has her laughing, somehow even that feels different tonight, something about it feels more pronounced —like it demanded to be felt.

She chances a glance at her watch, and sees it’s a quarter until midnight. “I don’t think so babe,” she says playfully, takes her time to take all of her in, white shirt barely covering her thighs and leaning against the marbled counter. “Not for a couple of minutes anyway.”

“Who cares about the specifics of time right now?” Her laughter fills the room, and despite the lights being off she can see her perfectly clear—sees water pooling under the almost empty pitcher filled with peaches and what seems to be the scent of orange juice and red wine beside her. “It’s relative for all we know.”

“It matters today,” she says simply.

She scrunches her nose in answer, and Lisa finds it endearing. Too endearing she can’t help but lean in and kiss her. Smiling midway because she knows she’s almost drunk but won’t readily admit to it.

“Pfft, it’s nothing special—” she whispers as they both pull away, leaning to turn on the vintage looking radio she insisted they buy off a garage sale last summer behind her. It sputters a bit, filling their evening with the sound of static as she works on getting an available station on, “it’s honestly just another ordinary day Lisa.”

“I think you have a very skewed understanding of the ordinary.” she says a little distractedly, eyes tracing the bit of skin peeking from her waist as the shirt hitches on the counter.

“Or maybe you’re just being too sentimental about it,” she finishes the thought for her, smiling at finally being able to settle on a midnight radio station playing soft music.

“It’s almost midnight,” she tries again, fingers reaching out on impulse to tuck a stray lock of hair behind her ear.