I Can't Speak

I woke up some time later in the same room as before, but this time Gabriel was sitting on the foot of the bed talking on the phone. I tried to get his attention to politely ask him if I could go home now. The only thing that came out of my mouth was a high pitched wine and a puff of air.

I couldn't speak. My throat was on fire and Gabriel was having a casual conversation.

"... I'm sure she's fine. She's probably just sulking. You know what she's like when she doesn't get her way."

He was probably talking to Chloe. Probably about me. Of course if I was right then he was lying to her. I mean I get I... I wouldn't want to tell my girlfriend that I had kidnapped and repeatedly strangled her little sister either.

"No. I think you should leave her be for a while... She was in the wrong give her some time to see that. I'm sure she'll come back on her own."

'Bitch I'm trying!' I thought angrily. I blew a puff of air out of my nose.

"I love you too baby." He said a small smile on his face.

After he put the phone down he turned to look at me. I held his eyes. I was done with this shit. He had no reason to keep me here. Clearly Chloe didn't know about it. I had no reason to respect or obey his wishes. Well no reason except for the immense amount of fear I felt, but I ignored that. It wasn't going to help me.

"So," Gabriel started slowly, "You're awake."

I nodded slowly in response wincing as my neck moved.

"I uh - I'm sorry. About your neck..." he trailed off.

I stared at him one eyebrow raised.

"I didn't mean to hurt you."

I let out a puff of air in disbelief.

"I... Can't you say something?" He interrupted himself clearly as uncomfortable as I was.

I mimed writing on a piece of paper. His eyebrows furrowed, but he went o get a piece of paper anyway.

"Here."

"I can't speak. Not certain why, but I'm pretty sure it has something to do with you strangling me these past few days. Just my opinion of course." I couldn't help putting a little venom into my note. I was angry. Very angry.

As I held the paper out for Gabriel to read I suddenly felt embarrassed about my handwriting of all things. I wanted to snatch the paper away and never speak again, but this was my only option.

"What? But how?... I didn't even press that hard." He mumble to himself.

I scribbled furiously.

"You know I would agree, but I can't fucking speak!"

"Watch your tone." said Gabriel his eyes narrowing on the paper.

"And how would you know what tone I was using? Did you forget that I can't speak?" I knew that I was being bratty, but I didn't care enough to stop.

We stared at each other in silence . Me angry and a little scared and him... well I had no idea what he was feeling. His gaze dropped from my eyes to my lips and stayed there. The room was warming up. He suddenly seemed a lot closer to me than he was before. He started to lean in closer to me. His breathing deepened. I felt frozen and heated at the same time. warmth was pooling in my lower belly and I was terrified. The last time he came close to me I got strangled.

He had made his way up the bed. Now his face was right in front of mine. We were breathing in the other's air. My breathing started to grow heavier and my cheeks started to flush.

"I," he whispered so softly I barely heard him, " don't want you." He stayed close to me and brushed his lips against my ear.

I felt like I had been dowsed in cold water. I pushed him away from me shaking my head quickly and ignoring the pain it caused.

He smirked and left the room leaving a very confused me behind.

A few hours later I heard someone knock at the door. It wasn't a knock looking for permission to enter. It was a warning knock.

Riley entered with a bowl of food.

"Leak soup. I heard your throat was hurting." he said trying to start a conversation like he hadn't left me on the floor crying just before I passed out... So I was a little mad.

"The kitchen wasn't very prepared for vegetarian food." He chuckled awkwardly.

I stared at him unblinking.

"... Look I know you're angry and you have every right to be. It's just Gabriel he..." Riley trailed off.

I sighed and pulled out my paper. "Would he have done it?" I wrote it carefully not sure if I wanted to know.

He looked at the paper his eyes wide. He knew what I was talking about.

"Yes. Yes he would have cut off my hands if I touched you."