Narcissistic Idiot

So I know that it's a bit late, but I'm going to start putting trigger warnings at the beginnings of each chapter. 

TW - Gaslighting

I had made it about halfway to university when I realized.

I pulled off at a gas station. I had started shaking. 

Chloe. 'I'm so so sorry. This whole time I've been so focused on myself.'

I grabbed my replacement phone from the glovebox. Finding Chloe's number I feverishly typed my message. 

"Are you okay? I'm so sorry that I left like that." 

"Who dis?"

Chloe's response put me off balance for just a second.

"Artemis. Sorry my phone got broken. Are you at home?"

"Are you okay? How did you break your phone?"

"Long story. I'll tell you when I get home."

"Alright. Drive safe."

The drive home was a bit less then than safe, but I need to get there as soon as possible.

'If Gabriel doesn't mind strangling someone he knows nothing about. What has he been doing to Chloe? What if all this time she's been trying to tell me he's abusive and I just shrugged it off because I'm just so fucking focused on myself.'

I jumped out of the car with out turning it off or, in fact, even putting the hand break up. With the car door left open I sprinted into the house to find Chloe. 

She was relaxing in the lounge playing candycrush. I jumped on her and hugged her tight. My face in her stomach.

"Oof," was the sound she made at my impact, "okay, okay. What's happening? Why do you have a neck brace on?"

I looked around for a paper I could write on. Nothing. Too frustrated and desperate I forced words out of my mouth. They were rough and it felt as if I were spitting gravel. 

"Are you okay? Does he hurt you?" this led to a small coughing fit.

"What are you talking about. Calm down. let me make you tea and we can chat." Chloe said it slowly as if she were worried that I would run or attack her.

She made us both cups of ginger tea and sat at the dining table. 

"Okay now that we are calm tell me. What happened?"

"Your boyfriend straggled me... More than once, and he..." I trailed off. There was no way she would believe me about the car. I wasn't sure I believed me about the car. "What happened doesn't matter. Are you okay? Does Gabriel hurt you?"

"What no?" she laughed. "He's the sweetest man ever. Well I mean he's a little rough when we have sex, but that's different." 

"Are you sure?" I push. "You can tell me if he does I'll believe you. I can help you." 

"No. He has never touched me in a way I didn't want." Chloe was serious now. She was getting angry. "Why are you saying this and why would he hurt you? You have nothing to do with him."

"I can't explain it, but he strangled me and... I don't know how, but he ripped my car door right off its hinges." I was whispering now. 

"Hold on." Said Chloe, "that sounds crazy, but if he hurt you I'm going to kill him. Lets see if we can understand what is happening here. I'm sure its just a misunderstanding."

She pulled out her phone and called him   

"Hey, babe. Artemis is here and she's saying some weird things. Please come over so we can figure it out."