My Mate

Gabriel's POV

Today was exhausting. A new family just moved into the area and usually I would go meet them but today it's just too much. Kevin's little brother keeps skipping school and usually it wouldn't be the Alpha's job to discipline him, but Riley has been having trouble with his school work and just won't seem to listen to anyone. Besides Kyle is my best friend and Beta this is the least I could do.

I told Riley that he had to get a job as his punishment to force him to learn responsibility. Of course that meant I would have to go check on him to ensure he was doing his job.

There are always issues with the pack today was one of safety. My scouts had scented a rouge near the pack borders. That is never a good thing. Usually they don't come that close to pack borders. I sighed looking at the time realizing the restaurant Riley worked at was about to close.

I slammed my car door irritated. Why couldn't Riley listen to someone else for once.

As I entered the restaurant I picked up the most gorgeous scent I've ever inhaled. It was faint, but beautiful.

"Alpha!" Riley exclaimed happily, "I just met the funniest girl ever. She said you were bossy and that you shouldn't be the one controlling my life."

My nostrils flared at his irritating chatter, "I agree. You should be going to school by yourself."

"Yeah, I'm definitely going to start going to school properly." He answered in a soft voice.

"What changed?" I asked.

"She asked if I was the school's bad boy and it's just embarrassing that the answer is yes."

"Did she just leave? I think I should thank her." I teased.

I tried to ignore the scent but it kept teasing my nose as I inhaled as much of it as I could.

"Something wrong alpha?"

"No, something just smells really good. Like cinnamon and red wine." I inhaled deeper.

"Oh that's her." Riley said.

Something was nagging at my mind I needed to find that smell. I needed more of it.

"What do you know about her?" I asked desperately.

"Um I think her family just moved here." He said watching me closely.

Then it dawned on me: the new family.

I called Kyle and told him to meet me there leaving my car for Riley to get home in.

I calmly walked out of the shopping center and into the woods next to the road then I changed. My body twisted, and turned. Broke, bent, and stretched until I was a wolf. A massive black wolf.

I set off flashing through the trees. My wolf whined. He wanted more of that delicious scent. I had a theory why.

Mates are what you would assume they are. My other half... I couldn't wait to meet her. She sounded feisty and strong the perfect Luna.

When I got there Kyle was waiting for me. I could smell the scent of my mate mixed with someone else's. Both were coming out of the open window that was right next the the beautiful face of a girl. My mate her blond hair shone in the moon light and I stared. She was stunning. Pale skin and high cheekbones.

Kyle looked through the other window the one that was closed. "Wow" he said, "this girl is gorgeous."

I shrugged I didn't care what the other girl looked like. She wasn't my mate.

"Can I have her sister?" Kyle asked.

"Kidnap her for all I care. Just don't touch my mate" I growled lowly.

Looking further into her room I saw a few empty moving boxes labelled "Chloe". That must be her name. 'Chloe my mate'.

"Come on." Kyle coaxed, "we can't meet them now and you need sleep. We'll come back tomorrow morning."

I left reluctantly. My mind was swirling.

'Finally.'

I was 28. You can find your mate at 20 and it had been 8 disappointing years, but tomorrow I was going to meet her officially.

The next day I woke up early and made my way to her house.

"Hi there my name is Gabriel." I introduced myself to her parents not seeing her or her sister anywhere. " I live in the area and just wanted to say welcome. Is this the whole family?"

Chloe's mother answered, "oh no this isn't the whole family we have three daughters. Lexi doesn't live here though and I think Artemis is bathing, but let me see if I can find Chloe."

I was invited inside and stood relishing the scent of my mate. It was everywhere. I sat down with her mother and as her mother babbled on about their reason for moving I zoned out basking in my mates scent and surreptitiously looking around for her. Eventually I saw her come in through the front door and I refocused on the conversation.

"... sorry I know I'm over sharing, but you don't know Artemis so she probably won't mind as much and I really need to get that off my chest. Chloe! There you are. Come meet Gabriel"

She walked towards me. The scent on her was faint and was largely covered by another one. 'Probably just perfume' I thought.

I looked into her eyes. My wolf was strangely quiet. According to everyone my wolf should be jumping around my head screaming mate. I shook her hand. There were no sparks. Nothing. 'That must be because she's human' I assured myself. 'This is my mate, definitely. That scent makes it a certainty.'