Thirty-Nine.

I tapped on the three times and waited for Christopher to open it. When he finally did, I noticed his were red and very swollen. He had most likely been crying nonstop since he called me earlier.

Chresanto and I stepped inside and Christopher dapped him up. I turned to him and he just stared at me, cracking a slight smile.

I pulled him into a hug and he started crying again. I rubbed light circles on his back and he let out his tears. I could be a good friend when I wanted to.

He lifted his head up off of my shoulder, "Thanks for coming out here. I haven't been a good friend to you, but it means so much that you came."

"We're family, and I wouldn't miss her funeral." I said sympathetically.

I heard the bathroom door open and Corey stepped out of the bathroom. "Who's at the- Chanel?"

He walked out and came to give me a hug. Corey was Chris' older brother. He was never around much because he was in the army and hardly got to come home. I guess he made some arrangements and got to leave.

"Corey, I haven't seen you in forever. How have you been man?" I asked.

"I've been better," he responded.

All I could do is nod in understanding because I know what he meant by that. I wouldn't expect him to fine after his mother just died and he hardly ever got to see her. She never really was for the whole army idea because of the condition men came back home in, or if they came home at all.

The room grew quiet so I decided to discuss other matters. "When are you guys burying her?"

Corey answered, "tomorrow. She already said how she wanted to be buried and everything so we got all of that done today. She wants to be put to rest as soon as possible."

"I just don't understand, she seemed so good before I left for New York."

"That's what I thought," Chris said. "But I guess her heart just gave out."

A knock came upon the door and our heads turned in that direction. My attention wasn't really on that because I was thinking about so many other things.

"What are they doing here?" I heard Brianna ask.

"You know how close she was with my mom and me, she came here to show respect and support me." Chris said.

"She don't come around for months or even call and she think she can just show up to the funeral?" She said looking directly at me. "And what are you doing here Chresanto?"

"I came here with Chanel and also for support," Chresanto answered.

"So ya'll are together now?" She asked.

I turned to Chresanto, "you don't have to answer any of her questions." He nodded and I looked at Chris, "I'll see you tomorrow at the funeral."

I grabbed Chres' hand and pulled him out of the house and I called a taxi.

"Are you okay?" Chresanto asked in a concerned tone. God, he was so cute.

"I'm fine, I just- I don't know." I breathed out. "How did I go from loving my best friend to completely hating her, she's not the same."

He snaked his arms around my waist and kissed my shoulder. Suddenly I felt warm and safe, like nothing or no one could touch me. I always felt like that when I was around him. I guess maybe I had always been trying to avoid it.

"People change, even the ones you've known your whole life." He stated. "You can never completely count on someone to always stay the same."

There were a few more moments of silence and the taxi pulled up.