Twenty-One.

Today was the day that I had to tell Mr.Smith that I couldn't work there anymore. I hadn't even got to work there long and I was already quitting.

I guess the fact that I was doing this for a good reason made the whole little situation better, but it still seemed.. I'm not even sure. Worse of it all was that I had just made friends with Avery and I had to leave.

My heels clacked on the marble floor as I gripped my resignation letter in my hand. I stayed up all night trying to find the words to say, without putting all my business out.

Before I knew it, I was face to face with his office door. Honestly, I didn't want to do this and the closer I got to it; the more I felt regret. Then I think about Aubs.

That little girl has changed me so much, I'm making choices that I would never make. Never in a million years did I think that I would want to be in another relationship, even if it was with my first love. Then I realized, this was the right thing to do. Or was it?

It was too late for any of that because I had already knocked and the door was swung open. But it was wasn't who it was suppose to be.

"Uh, Brittany?"

Her hand made its way to her hip and she asked, "Can I help you with something?"

The door was only partly open and she stood in front of the crack, as if she didn't want me

to see something. Hell, she probably was hiding something.

I rolled my eyes, "Look I need to talk to Mr.Smith about something. So can you like, I don't know, move?"

"What-" I cut her off and her eyes grew wide.

"It's none of your business what I need him for, just know that it's important. Now I would love it if you got out of the way, please and thanks." I fake smiled and she shut the door.

Minutes later I heard scrambling and she opened the door, walking out. She bumped my shoulder and "apologized".

I started to turn around and say "Bitch, is there a problem?" but I have more important things on my plate.

Mr.Smith was sitting at his desk, pretending he had been typing the entire time.

"I-"

"I don't appreciate the way you were talking to my employee, and your attitude needs to change or you'll be finding yourself working somewhere else. You're new here, so what makes you think that you can just act any kind of way?" He just snapped on me like that.

"Listen here, don't think I don't know for a second what's going on with you two."

He looked confused, "What are you talking about?"

"You and Brittany are sleeping together, correct?"

His eyes got huge and he scooted closer to me, he was in my face now. I could feel his heavy breath on my face. "Keep your damn voice down! How do you know that?"

"So it's true?"

"What do I have to do to keep your mouth shut, money? How much do you want?" He pulled out his check book.

"You can put that away," I paused. "For now."

"Wha-"

"Look, I'm quitting. I don't want to go into detail on why, but just know that I am. This little secret here stays safe with us," he smiled. "I didn't get to finish, it stays safe for the rest of the week's pay plus 2,500$"

"Deal."

I rose up out of my seat and sat the resignation letter on his desk. Once I was at the door, he spoke causing me to turn back at him.

"Once I give you this money, I expect this secret to stay between us?" His brows creased and I nodded.

My lips curved into a smile and I nodded slowly.

I continued to walk past his office and to no surprise Brittany was standing right there. She rolled her eyes at me and I chuckled.

I said the secret was safe with us, I didn't say it was safe with everyone else.

"Bye bitch," I mumbled under my breath and exited the building.

.

.

"Chanel!" I heard Jarod call me from the next room.

I was in the middle of changing Aubree's diaper, so I couldn't just stop and see what he wanted. "Yes?"

He sighed in annoyance, "Can you come and see what I want, please?"

"I'm changing Aubree's diaper right now Jarod, you could come here though." I mumbled, "since you aren't doing anything."

"What was that?"

"Nothing babe, I'll come as soon as I'm done." I responded. Two minutes later I was done with the dirty diaper and approached him to see what he wanted. "I'm here."

"I see that," he smiled. "Did you quit today?"

"Yep, I did what you asked me to." I mumbled, "well forced me to."

Luckily he didn't hear that though. "Good. You're going to like it so much in New York."

That was another reason I was okay with moving, no more hood and a place where I've always wanted to go. But there was that gut feeling again that was moving way too fast.

I put on a fake grin, "I'm sure I will."

I pushed the feeling aside.

"Do you have something to wear for the draft?" Before I could answer, he continued to speak. "I'm sure you don't so you might want to buy something."

"Um, alright. I guess-"

"And buy something for Aubree, too." He hadn't looked up the entire time, his eyes were glued to his phone.

I walked away without him even noticing and laid down in my bed. I

couldn't help but think if this was the right move, but too late to turn back now. Right or not, I was doing it.