Twenty-Two.

"I said was sorry, traffic coming downtown is aweful and Bree had an accident right when we were leaving." I explained to Jarod as we drove.

"You missed my entire team get drafted, that was your soul purpose for coming and you missed it."

He had been going on and on for the past 15 minutes of the drive because came late and missed his entire team. It's not mh fault that traffic is bad in California and Aubree shit her diaper right before we left. I had no help in getting two people ready, it was just me.

"Sorry," I mumbled for the 100th time tonight.

"Whatever, we're here now. Try not to embarrass me," he said and got out of the car.

Instead of him helping me and getting the baby out of the car, he leaned against it and waited for me to get her. I must admit that he looked good tonight, but his attitude ruined it.

We walked into the building and I was in awe. Everyone was dressed like this was a ball or prom and I honestly felt hideous compared to all these women. I wasn't underdressed or anything, it was just the way they carried themselves. I was envious.

"Chanel, do you hear me?" Jarod's voice stopped me.

"I'm sorry, no. What'd you say?" I turned my attention to him and saw a man standing next to him.

He slyly rolled his eyes to where no one saw him except me and plastered a smile back on his face. "This is the new head coach for the Knicks, Derek Fisher. He used to play for the Oklahoma City Thunder."

I nodded, "I was a huge fan of you on the Thunder. That's my favorite team in the NBA." I paused and corrected myself, "Well, my old favorite team."

That earned a smile from him and Jarod also.

"It was nice to meet you Ms.Chanel, I'll talk to you later Jarod." He shook Jarod's hand and gave me a hug.

"He seems n-" My sentence was cut short when I saw a face I didn't think I would see again before I left.

He made his way over to us with a smirk on his face. I had a feeling this night would not end well.

I thought he was coming over to say something to me, but he reached his arm out and pulled Jarod into a hug.

"Aye Ben, what's up man?"

Ben had the biggest grin on his face and looked down at me, "what's up? Who are these two beautiful girls?"

"This is my girlfriend Chanel and our daughter Aubree," Jarod spoke.

Ben's expression changed completely but he hurriedly threw it off and smiled, "Nice man. Congradulations on your team, you got some pretty good picks."

"Thanks, you too."

I was confused, Ben has a team? I spoke up in the middle of their converstion. "You have a team?"

"Yes, I own half of the Los Angeles Lakers sweetheart." He smirked the way that drove me crazy. I couldn't let him know that he did that to me.

Jarod noticed our deep staring contest and he cleared his throat. "So how are you and the Mrs.?"

"Great, we're re newing our vows next month. We've never been better," he looked at me again. I rolled my eyes.

He knew damn well that his marraige wasn't that good, that's what made him start messing with me. He's just a little hurt about me and Jarod. Oh well, he'll get over it.

"How long you and Ms.Chanel, right?" I nodded. "How long have ya'll been dating?"

"We had a thing in highschool, but I moved up to New York after we graduated. I came back down here for the draft and we met up," he smiled and snaked his arms around my waist.

I plastered on one of my realest fake smiles and he pecked my forehead.

"Uh, Jarod can you take Aubree while I run to the bathroom?"

He hesitantly nodded and took her out of my arms.

I made my way to the bathroom to be stopped my Ben's wife. I sort of turned my face away because if she saw me, I knew she would speak. We weren't really close like that, but she loved me.

"Chanel?" Damn it.

"Hi," I waved.

"What are you doing here? You look beautiful by the way," she smiled.

"My boyfriend coaches the Knicks, but really have to use the restroom. It was nice seeing you," I scurried away.

I did my business and washed my hands. The door opened and I heard a locking sound. Seconds later I was pushed up against the wall.

"Ben, what the hell are you doing?"

He kissed all over my neck, "You're leaving tomorrow?"

I nodded.

"And you didn't say anything? You haven't been returning my calls."

"We aren't together, I don't have to tell you anything. Plus, I'm trying to change." I breathed out as his lips made their way lower and lower.

"So you're just going to leave me like that? After all we've been through?"

I lightly pushed him back, "Yes. This

is a chance for you and your wife to get back on track. Aren't ya'll re-newing your vows?"

"I made that up, we haven't been right in years and you know that."

"I'm sorry Ben, it's over." I made my way to the door and opened it.

"But I love you."

"You what?" I turned around and locked the door back.

"I want to leave my wife for you."

"I can't- I won't let you do that Ben. You and I both knew that us being in a relationship would never work, that's why we kept this affair on the low." I sighed. "My mind is made up, I'm leaving tomorrow."

"I could give you everything and more. You know that," he walked closer to me but I backed up two steps.

"Goodbye Ben," I walked out.

I walked through the crowd and found Aubree and Jarod. She was falling asleep on his shoulder and he was just talking away.

"Can we leave?" I whispered in his ear.

He glared at me, "Don't you see me talking?"

"Whatever," I mumbled. "I'll catch a taxi."

I exited the building with Aubree sleeping on my shoulder until I heard a familiar voice call my name.

I turned around and met with Chresanto's gaze. "What are you doing here?"

"You didn't see, I got drafted." He smiled and I hugged him. Almost forgetting Aubree was in my arms.

"Congrats Chres," I smiled. "I know how much you wanted this."

"Why you out here alone?" He asked with a brow raised.

"Uh, well, Jarod isn't ready to go home and I am so I'm catching a cab."

"I'll take you home, if you want. I was just about to leave." I nodded and followed him to his car.

.

.

"So you moving tomorrow, huh?" He broke the silence.

"Yep," I responded.

I could see him nod out the corner of my eyes. He seemed like he wanted to say more, but kept it to himself.

"You happy?"

I didn't answer, but then he looked over at me. I nodded and he continued to stare at me.

After about 30 seconds he looked back at the road, "Okay."

I could see my apartment coming up in the window, so I unbuckled my belt.

"Thanks for the ride."

He leaned over and kissed my cheek, "See you later Chanel."