Homecooking

Today my husband Justin and I are going over to my parents' house for dinner. They have met Justin loads of times and could honestly say that they loved him.  Ever since we went one time last year, Justin has been dying to eat some of my mom's food again. Not saying that I'm a bad cook but honestly no one's food can compare to my mom's. It's the best!
"Babe! Hurry up, I need to eat some good food!" Justin exclaimed.
"I'm coming!" I yelled.
Told ya.
After hearing Justin shout a few more times about how my brothers were going to eat up all the food and that he would then be yearning to taste the food for another year, I came downstairs.
Looking at the time I realized that even if we drive the actual speed limit that we would still be fifteen minutes early. He quickly grabbed my hand and pulled me to the car. After arriving, Justin hastily got out of the car and up to the steps of my childhood home. Is he really that hungry? When I walked in, he had already greeted my dad and was currently placing a kiss on my mothers cheek.
"Hey ma, how are you?" He asked.
"Well I'm doing just fine baby. Go on and settle at the table, dinner will be ready in a minute" she replied to him.
I hugged everybody and went to the dining room where my brothers and Justin were seated. As the boys were talking, the dishes of food were being placed along the length of the table catching Justin's attention.
We had collard greens, macaroni and cheese, friend chicken, cornbread, mash potatoes, green beans, rice and gravy, and iced tea. Southern cooking at its best.
Justin reached out for the largest piece of chicken before Mom slapped his hand.
"Grace first! Y/n do you not feed this child?" Mom scolded.
"Dear Lord, bless this food that we are about to receive for the nourishment of body. Amen" she concluded.
Justin snatched his chicken quickly again. His plate was full like no other. Cheeks stuffed as he looked like a chipmunk.
After dinner and the table was cleared, Ma gave Justin containers of all the leftovers as he expressed how much he loved her food.
When we got home, Justin was munching of some of the food while talking.
"Your mother is the greatest thing on earth; she gave me you and this amazing food"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thanks for reading! Hope you enjoyed!
-Mikayla<3