I wish I could hate you I

Description-

"
"You have degrees in both medicine and being a veterinarian and you're a great addition to our team, however, unfortunately, there's been some changes to the system here at the Pawspital and we're afraid we have to let you go.", is what she probably actually said, but to me it sounded like; "You're great but not good enough lol bye.".
"
Phil has recently lost his job as a vet and joins a new job. What he doesn't know is his old frenemy Daniel Howell is one of his coworkers.
(I wrote this randomly and didn't know what to do with it so I put it here even though I've finished this one shot book already lmao)

Phil

"You wanted to see me?" I asked Dr Ollie, my boss after knocking her office door.
"Ah, Lester. Yes, I wanted to talk to you. Please, sit." She told me. I did so. "Now, Lester, I've always classed you as the most experienced man I've ever met." She began. I studied her face, trying to decide whether she was going to give me good or bad news. "You have degrees in both medicine and being a veterinarian and you're a great addition to our team, however, unfortunately, there's been some changes to the system here at the Pawspital and we're afraid we have to let you go.", is what she probably actually said, but to me it sounded like; "You're great but not good enough lol bye.".

Well, that happened. I'm having one of those moments in life where you look at life and you just think 'well fuck'. I've lost my job that I've had for 6 years, I'm 27 and all my mum does is say she wants grandchildren even though she knows full well that I haven't dated in about three years because I've simply been too busy. I always thought when I was like 18 that by the time I'm 25 I will have met the man I want to marry. Well where is he?

I feel my phone buzz in my pocket and I pick it up to see a call from an unknown number.
"Hello?" I ask.
"Hello, Phil Lester?" I hear a woman's voice ask.
"Speaking."
"I'm calling about your application to Jewell's Care Home, just letting you know that the job is yours if you still want it." She says. I'd almost forgot that I signed up to work at a care home. I've always wanted to, the main goal was always to be a doctor but it looks like I'm going to have to put that on hold for a while longer. The plan B was always to be a vet, and that worked out for a while but, well, here we are. Plan C was to work in a care home. I've wanted to work in a care home since I was a teenager.
"Of course I do!" I say cheerily.
"Great. You start Monday at 7 a.m." I'm told. My outlook on life just went from 'well fuck' to 'well shit', which, in my mind, is better.

»

Today is the day I start my new job. I get up early and eat a healthy breakfast of fruit and yogurt-
Except I don't, I eat yesterday's leftover pizza that I put in the fridge. I need to be full for today, ok? I shower and fiddle around with my hair for a while before realising If I stall any longer I'll be late so I run out to my car and blast muse as I drive over to my new job. As I approach the building I try to ignore the uneasy feeling in my stomach and my palms getting sweaty. My heartbeat is obnoxiously loud in my ears and I try to ignore that too as I wait for the automatic doors to open for me. I go inside. The room smells like hand sanitiser and it's not freezing, but just cool enough to make the hairs on my arms stand up slightly. I go to the front desk.

"Um, hello, I'm Phil Lester, this is my first day working here?" I implore.
"Ah, yes. Welcome! I hope you like it here, I'll have one of your coworkers show you around. You won't be getting your lanyard until next week just because you might not like it here and all that, but for now, uh..." he looks around behind me. "... Dan, are you busy right now?" He asks. Dan. That was the name of a guy I used to have to hang out with throughout my childhood as our parents were friends.
"No, why?" I hear a man ask and turn around. My mouth falls open. It's him! The guy I was just thinking about. That very same thick brown hair that used to be swept to one side, but now it's as curly as it always went when we went to a pool together, those very same brown eyes that seemed to always have a strange ability to make you stare into them for what feels like ages if you accidentally hold eye contact for too long... by far the most annoying thing about Daniel Howell is how pretty he is. It almost makes you feel guilty for disliking him, even though he was always rude as fuck to me for no apparent reason. His eyes are as wide as mine must be.
"Dan?" I hear the receptionist's voice and snap back into reality.
"Wuh?" Dan asks.
"Can you show Phil around? He's new here. I'm assuming you know each other as you were just gawping at each other." He shrugs.
"Oh, yeah, sure. Welcome to Jewell's, Phil." He says, before leading me off to have a tour around the building.

"What are you doing here in Epsom? I thought you'd still be in Kings Lynn?" I ask, bewildered. Dan and I were neighbours in our home town, Kings Lynn. Our parents were close so that meant every birthday, every Christmas that we were snowed in, every New Years Eve and every annoying house party or social event we'd see each other. I hated it. I didn't like being around him.
"Haven't gone to Kings Lynn in like a year." He says briefly.
"Me neither really, I don't spend much time up there." I try to make small talk. We're both adults, I think we can have a grown up conversation.
"Me neither, I must say, though, I miss tormenting you, Mo Lester." He says mockingly. Well scrap my earlier statement.
"Seriously? I thought you might've matured just a little bit." I sigh.
"I have, but seeing your face annoys me so much that I felt I had to share the pain." He shrugs.
"There you go again. This is my first day and already I wish I'd never come."
"That's what she said." He grins.
"Shut up!" I roll my eyes, annoyance seeping into my voice.
"Make me." He winks.
"Not in a million years."
"Don't even get any ideas after those million years are up because, gross!" He 'warns' me.
"If it's so gross why did you suggest it?" I question.
"I- um- well there's the toilets." He changes the topic. Ha, looks like he's out of sassy remarks.

We're back at 'well fuck' and I have a feeling we're going to stay there.

»

My first day is up and I've found out that Dan is going to be coaching me all week. Yup. This works out swell for me, just swell. I get into my apartment and flop onto my sofa, covering my face in my arms. I open my phone and see that my dad has attempted to send me photos of old polaroids of Dan and I when I was about 15 so he'd've been 14. I grin at the memory. That was the time Dan and I and our parents all stayed in a cottage together for a while. Dan and I actually kind of got on that time, there was a hot tub, which was obviously exciting, it was also really hot one day.

<<

I remember we started a water fight with these water guns we bought at the shop which was around the corner from our cottage. We also bought water balloons and accidentally got the person next door's dry washing all wet. She looked really intimidating. I still remember her face was always in a frown, she had a scarily straightly cut fringe and she just generally looked like she wanted to kill humanity. I remember the fear I felt when I realised what happened and I saw her door open. I stopped suddenly and tapped Dan's arm, who realised and quickly held my hand, pulling down to hide behind the fence around our cottage.

I remember how exhilarating it was as I'd never hidden from anything I'd done before, I'd always timidly say sorry, but there I was, hiding from a scary lady behind a fence. I remember Dan didn't let go of my hand and we had a weird moment. We just kind of looked at each other for a moment, before I realised it was gay and I was still denying my gayness so I moved away from him as soon as the lady went back inside.

»

"Alright, Phil, let's get this week over with, as soon as it's over I won't need to coach you anymore so that's always a bonus." Dan says to me the next day.
"Wow, I feel so loved." I say sarcastically.
"You have some kind of degradation kink?" He asks me.
"Hahahah." I answer, unenthused.
"You're not denying it." He grins.
"Why would you want to know anyway?" I ask, smirking.
"What's with that look? You gay or something?"
"Yeah, I am." I shrug. He whips his head around, shock imprinted on his face. I grin.
"I thought so." He shrugs. I shrug back. "And it's not only cuz of my gaydar." He adds. I look up at him. He looks back at me briefly. I smile at him. He looks as if he wants to smile back but he looks down.
"Alright, nerd, let's get this show on the road." Any chance of me jumping into a fuckin road?