*Chapter 29* Live or die

A/N: Wow this story is actually #352 in Werewolf, thank you guys - that you read my stories and vote and comment mean the world to me I really appreciate it.

This chapter is dedicated to zaza1667 - hope I didn't let you hanging for to long.

* Lucas' P.O.V *

NO, no, this couldn’t be happening, I couldn’t lose my mate like this, but I feel her body went limp in my arms, and knew what it meant, but I couldn’t - wouldn’t believe it. I looked fanatically around and shouted.

"For God's sake, find a pack doctor."

I saw Matthews teary eyes looking into mine before he shook his head sad.

"They're all dead or wounded, we don’t have anyone who can help her."

He says, and I can see that it really pains him to admit it, and of course she is his sister, but she is MY mate, and I will not just sit by and watch while she dies. But what can I do, I keep seeing fanatical around to find a solution, and that is the reason that I spot one of roghues waving his arms, and now I zoom in on what he says.

"I'm a doctor, please let me see if anything can be done."

I'm a little suspicious of him, and see how all my friends around me shake their heads, they don’t trust him, I don’t either, but there is a small chance that he can actually help Emily and that chance I will take. I turn my head and look at Clarina.

"Get him over here."

I don’t know how it all happened during the fight, but I know that my mate and Clarina jointly got pushed the roughes out on the island ground, and now Clarina have to get him of it again. When I see how she hesitates, I yelled with my Alpha voice.

"NOW!"

I know that I am not her alpha, and that she is still human, so it has no effect on her, yet she looks at me before she nods and moves her hands, I see how the rogue float in the air, and ends with a bump in front of me and Emily. I grab hold of his collar.

"You just have to do what you can for her, if she dies, I promise you that you going to die to, and it will be a long and painful death. Emily means more than my own life, so no tricks."

The rogue nods, before he quickly bends over Emily and starts.

"I need something sharp to get the bullet out of her, if we leave it inside of her until we come back to the pack house, she is certainly dead before we get there, her only chance is if we get the bullet out."

I can hear in his tone that he actually knows what he's talking about, so slowly I give him a very sharp thin knife. He looks at it and around on everyone, but when he discovers it is the only available, he nods before he again bends over Emily.

"I need you to hold her down, I don’t know how present she is, but that isn’t time to drug her, and she can’t move while I try to get the bullet out of her, it can lead me to hit some vital organs, and then she has no chance to survive."

Quickly, I have Matthew, Clarina and three other guys a good grip on her, the rogue bends down again over her, but before he starts, he looks up at us again, before he ends up staring me at me.

"No matter what you must not let go of her, it looks hard but it's for her own good."

As we all nodded consensual he bends over her and pierces the knife into the bullet wound. Emily's eyes fly ppen, and there sound a deafening scream from her. I grab tighter to her shoulders to make sure she lay as quiet as possible. My tears begin to run when Emily continues to scream, and I can see on the others that they are also affected, both Clarina and Matthew let their tears run free for the pain their best friend and sister going through. I bend down and whisper soothing words into Emily's ear, to try to calm her, but it’s doesn’t seems like she hears it. Suddenly, her body once again went limp. I look bewildered at the rogue, and see him sitting with a silver bullet in his gloved hand, he looks up and we get eye contact, and he nods.

"I know it was hard to go through, but believe me it was a good reaction from her. I didn’t realize that it was a silver bullet he shot her with, if I had known, I probably wouldn’t want to try to get it out, since I had been sure that the silver had spread. But that she sensed that I dug the bullet out, showing that her neural pathways are not yet dead. Let's get her back to the pack house, I need to have proper medical equipment to the rest of the surgery, but she has just shown that she is a fighter, so we might have a chance that she will live through this. "

Gently I took Emily up in my arms but before I could move, a cautious voice sounded.

"Sorry alpha, but what should we do with the roughes?"

Asked my third in command, I could tell that he was not much to ask at this point, and I also answered as annoyed.

"I don’t care with them, for my sake, you can leave them where they are, it's not like they can go anywhere. Right now I'm only interested in my mate."

"Of course Alpha."

He said and bowed respectfully his head before he turned on his heels and went back where we came from. Throughout the conversation I had, with Emily in my arms, race toward the pack house which I now entered and quickly went down to the hospital section of the house, where I knew there was the paraphernalia as the rogue doctor would need to save my mate . Which he would be, I didn’t let myself think that it could end in any other way than for Emily wake up again, she was my mate, she wasn’t suppose to die. I had to believe she would wake up if I shouldn’t go insane. I carefully laid Emily on the bed and stared down at her quiet body, she lay still and pale, the only thing that showed that she hadn’t left me, was the rattle that sounded from her throat when she tried to breathe, and the constant stream of blood there ran from the wound in her chest.

"I must ask you to leave the room while I examine her."

My thoughts were interrupted by the doctor's comment, and I looked angrily at him.

"If you think I let my mate alone with a roghue you're wrong."

I said with a hard look in his direction. He looked imploringly at Matthew and Clarina, but their expressions clearly told that they wouldn’t let Clarina alone with him either. With a sigh, he look back at me.

"Fine but you have to let me do my work. You surprised me when you actually let me take the bullet out of her, without killing me ..."

"It can still be arranged… Treat her."

I interrupted him and he nodded before returning to Emily. The next two hours was hell for me, to see my mate like this, and I was completely useless, that’s not something anyone should be experience. But it seems that the rogue doctor knew what he was doing, and he really tried to help Emily. He sewed the wound together before he tore off the gloves and went and washed his hands at the sink before he looked at me.

"I've done what I could, but it was a silver bullet your mate was shot with, so I can’t assure you she's going to get through this. Had it been an ordinary bullet it had all been in perfect order, but now I can’t say how much silver has been spread in her system, so we must pray that the Moon Goddess will let Luna Emily survive."

He says with a strained glance over at Emily and I get the impression that he actually cares about her, which makes me frown.

"What's going on? You're no more rogue than I am, so why were you involved in the attack? "

I asked strained. I saw how he stiffened and looked around as if he was looking for something, before he again looked at me.

"I love my mate, and I do what I must to keep her alive."

He said cryptically, and Matthew must think the same cause he exclaimed.

"What do you mean?"

But the doctor just shook his head.

"I can’t do more for Luna Emily so what will you do to me now?"

I squint my eyes, but couldn’t concentrate on anything other than my mate who still lay still and pale in the hospital bed. And I moved a chair and sat beside the bed and grabbed her hand. And just prayed, prayed that my anger wouldn’t be one of the last Emily saw from me, I hadn’t even said I loved her when she said it to me, I hadn’t been able to, cause it had felt like I accepted it was a goodbye, and I wasn’t ready for that. But now I regret it, what if it was in fact the last time I had talked to Emily, and I hadn’t told her that I love her. My eyes filled with tears, I heard Matthew vacate in the background and gently say.

"I take him down to the basement and lock him in until we decide what to do with him and the other roughes."

He said, and received a nod from me, and I heard the door close behind them as they left the room. It took some time before I noticed that Clarina was still in the room, and I look surprised at her where she sat with her back against the wall, she looked sadly at me and exclaimed.

"I'm really sorry, it should have been me, it was me he was aiming for. I'm so sorry."

She said the last weeping. Lurius agreed with her, it shouldn’t be our mate lying there in the bed, but I knew that Emily wouldn’t look at it like that, Emily would be happy that she had saved her friend. So I knew I had to be as stoic as Emily, and therefore I said.

"It's not your fault Clarina."

She looks up at me with tear-filled eyes.

"Emily hadn’t been here if it wasn’t for me. For some reason, he aimed at me, and ..."

But I interrupted her.

"Yes, for some reason. You didn’t ask to be shot at, and you didn’t know it would happen. Emily knew what she was doing, she would protect you, don’t throw it back in her face by blaming yourself for everything, Emily wouldn’t which that. "

Clarina looks surprised at me.

"Really? Is that really how you feel? "

"That is how Emily feel about it, she didn’t hesitate to come to your aid, of course, I hope that she hadn’t calculated that she would be shot instead, but Emily would always help her friends. And I'm sure she would do it again."

I said with a slightly strained smile, I tried to lighten the mood, but it was hard when I was so worried about Emily, if she would actually wake up again. But I could see at the Clarina that she was glad of my little speech. After some time in silence, I said quietly.

"You should find your mate, he will probably want to make sure that you are okay."

Clarina hesitated and glance at Emily, and it warmed me that she loved my mate that she actually was in doubt whether she should leave her for Matthew or not. So this time, I sent her a real smile.

"It's okay Clarina, I will stay with her until she comes back to us. And I am confident that Matthew would like to ensure that you are okay, and give you an earful for not listening to us, and be in the cave."

I said a little tight. But this time Clarina look me straight in the eye and replied.

"And I will give the same reply as Emily would say when she wakes up. That you should be happy that we came and helped you, if we hadn’t come to your help with our powers, you would have had problems."

She said, and I smiled, both because she had said when and not if Emily wakes. As well as that I could easily hear Emily say exactly that, and then she would send me her little gaze as she always sent when she knew she was right.

"And you would both be right. And when Emily wakes up, I expect an answer to the mysterious powers that you two magically were able to use when required."

I said with a serious look, and saw how Clarina flustered and nodded.

"Of course when Emily wakes up, we tell you everything. But now I will do as you say and try to calm my mate."

She said before she with a last glance at Emily slowly closed the door behind her. And I was now alone with my mate for the first time since the fight that could have taken her from me, and I could still risk losing her if the silver had spread. I squeezed her hand as I had kept all along, and whispered tearfully.

"Emi you have to come back to me, you can’t leave me, you can’t expect me to live in a world that you are no longer a part of."

There was no response, and even our link was quiet with no signs of life, otherwise when one's mate were wounded, the other could hear their thoughts, or at least pictures through the link, it was a way in which the healthy mate could ensure that his or her mate was still okay, but I couldn’t hear anything. But I couldn’t let it get to me; I had to believe that Emily would come back to me.