*Chapter 7* - preparation for The Mating Game

*Emily's P.O.V.*

I took a deep breath before the doors slowly opened in front of me, and revealed a large banquet hall, where there already was gathered a lot of persons, and the sound of happy and excited voice sounded from everywhere. But what surprised me most are the scents, or should I perhaps rather say non-existent scents, there is none in this room that has a scent, I turn around confused, to find out why. I jumped when there suddenly was a hand touching my arm. I hear a giggle and look for it and I catch the sight of Sofia, one of my friends from the Moonlight pack, she smiles big to me before she gives me a hug.

"Isn’t it exciting to think that we are participating in The Mating Game, it's a great opportunity to find our mates ..."

She is interrupted as the doors once again open, and in comes the total the seven judges who is in charge of The Mating Game. One man comes forward a little, and raises a hand, leading to the complete silence in the hall.

"Hello everybody it’s my pleasure to see that so many have accepted the offer to participate in this year's Mating Game. My name is Mr. Franz and I am chief judge and it's me you should contact in case you have questions or if you under the Game should get sick and need to get back to civilization, there will be eight stations exposed around the woods where you have the opportunity to communicate with us. We will, as much as possible preserve the same rules as there has been a tradition for in all the other Mating Games, but we have made ​​a big change, as some of you may already have noticed, we have prevented your scents from coming forward, we have done this because things has changed, previously it was not normal that men and women had any physical contact, which we all know has changed since."

There sounds scattered giggles from the girls, and cheers from some of the men. I roll my eyes, annoyed that they took this topic so lightly. It’s seems that Mr. Franz feel the same way, at least he once again raises his hand to calm the crowd once again.

"As I said, we have made sure that you can’t get any reactions from the person you touch the next 24 hours where you will find yourself in the house and have the opportunity to have contact with each other. This way you want have any beneficial knowledge about who is your mate when you will be sent out in the woods."

I look at him in astonishment before I again breathe properly, I hadn’t even realized that I had kept it. I feel that there is someone staring at me and look carefully around just to make eye contact with Lucas, who without hiding stares at me, even when he saw me looking at him, his expression didn’t changes, I nervously sink before I turned to the judges again.

"The next few hours you’re going to learn to know each other a bit by talking, it will take place in this room or the room next door. It’s absolutely, and I repeat absolutely prohibited to take someone of the opposite sex up in your rooms or other places to be alone. this game is for participants who seriously want to find their true mate, and if we find someone who disregards this rule, those persons will be disqualified from The Mating Game without exceptions, there is no excuse for such a behavior in this House, think about your true mate very well can be in this room, and how it will influence him or her, that the mate have chosen to override the person's feelings to get urges taken care of by someone else. So take this into consideration before you do anything stupid."

I see more than one face that look guilty or annoyed, and it is clear that they had hoped for a bit of fun with someone new. I once again shake my head of their stupidity, Mr. Franz's way of saying it was really striking, and yet there are some who seem disappointed that it’s not an option. By its own will my head turn and I once again get eye contact with Lucas who still look at me, this time I let it last longer, and I see the strength and determination shine in his silver blue eyes, quickly I drag my eyes away from him, and discovers that the judges have left the podium, and that the people have started to talk again.
Sofia grabs me by the arm and begins to move.

"Come on let's get some new acquaintances, we might need some of the other girls when we need to hunt."

She laughs, and soon we are in a small circle with five other girls. I'm look at one of the girls who had introduced her selves as Malina and who I from the start had get along with, softly approach me.

"So are you excited about this? You don’t seem as euphoric, like the other girls."

I look at her in astonishment, and is about to give her my standard answer before I see the expression in her eyes, and then I answer truthfully.

"I think I'm just as excited as you are."

I say with a closer look at her. Her gaze astonished turn to mine, before she quickly looks around before she gets closer to me and whisper.

"You do know I don’t want to be here, if it wasn’t for my parents I wouldn’t be."

She says, looking around, I see pain burst forth in her eyes and looks to where she stare, and catch the sight of a small group that seems to be indifferent to what the chief judge said just an hour earlier. I look back at her and lay a gentle hand on her arm.

"Which one?"

I ask gently, Malina quickly look down at me, but something in my eyes must have told her that I know how she feels. She breathes out visible before she once again looks to the group.

"Do you see the guy having his arm around the black-haired girl, that’s my mate."

She sadly says. I quickly look at the pair that looks very loving to each other, without, like the other in the group going at it.