*Chapter 3 - Is Emily my mate?*

*Lucas' P.O.V.*

I lifted my head from the woman neck, I had been so confident this time the scent had been so evident and had led me here, but it was clear that the scent I knew as my mates weren’t this woman. I quickly took a step back and looked down at the woman. I could smell that she was a wolf, so I said regretfully.

"I'm very sorry, I thought you were my mate, you carry her scent, and it is only her scent I know so far, I haven’t been able to find her yet. Could you tell me who you've been with for today? Or do you know has a scent of fresh sea salt and grapeseed oil?"

The woman smiled wryly up at me, and said to me.

"I'm sorry, but I've just played sport with thirty other women, and I’m sorry but I haven’t noticed anyone with the scent you describe. But I can give you a list of them who is on my team, in fact it is only those I have been in contact with today, so the chance of it being one of them is likely."

She smiles as she turns over to look in her bag before she take a piece of paper and hands it to me. I look down at it and understand that it is the list with the names of the women she has played sports with.

"Thank you ..."

I stop, I don’t know her name and looks apologetically at her. She laughs quietly.

"It's perfectly all right Alpha Steel, my name is Katharina, so I can remove from the list ... And by the way, three of the others weren’t here today, so those we can also delete."

Quickly she deleted four names from the list, before she hands me the papers again, with an encouraging smile.

"I hope you find your mate, it's the best feeling in the world to be with the one who is destined to you, I wish you good luck, and you really must tell me if there is anything else I can help with, me and my mate will be happy to help you find her."

She smiled and I could see that she was sincere. I smiled at her and thanked her before I folded the note and started walking towards my motorcycle. At the corner I stopped abruptly, her scent was very prevalent here, like she had just been here, it couldn’t possibly be so prevalent unless she had been here moments ago, I shook my head, I had to stop chasing the scent every time I got a hint of it, just today I had followed the scent and grabbed a hold of 9 unknown women who knew nothing about my mate, I couldn’t go on like this, people would think I was crazy if I continued in this way. Now I had a list of 30 names, or actually only 26 names. If I took it from the beginning, and talked to each one then I had to find her at some point. That was a much more logical way to search for her.

I quickly drove to Matthew’s home, I had to talk to him about this. I knocked quickly at his office door before I opened it. I quickly came to a halt when I see Matthew sit with Clarina at his lap and kiss her. I turn to leave, but get stopped by Clarina who says.

"Come on in Lucas, I have tried to get permission to leave the office the last quarter maybe you can to help me ... Did you. .."

She stops astonished, and it seems that she is looking for someone behind me before she frowns and looks back up at me.

"Is everything all right, something happened today?"

She asks, I smile down to her and see that she gets a relieved look on her face until I say.

"I met a woman who had my mates scent, but it turned out that she probably just had played sports with her, but I've got a list of names of the other women on the team, and I hope that I can get Matthew to help me to tell who the people I don’t know is."

Clarina nodded before she got up from Matthews lab, prompting Matthew to let out a low growl. Clarina turned around smiling at him before she bent down and lovingly gave him a kiss.

"Relax Matthew, Lucas need your help, help him, I'll think of something else to do, and then we can relax together later. But right now, Lucas needs help, so be the good friend I know you are, and put that beast away."

She laughed before she left the office. Matthew looked after her with a loving smile until the door shut behind her, then he looked at me.

"Well check the list and see how many of them there are in our packs or whether we should included Ronni from the north side."

Soon I had found the list, and placed it on the table between us, quickly I scanned the paper, and there were some names I knew from my own pack, so those I could forget, if it had been one from my pack I had found her long ago. I stopped when I saw a name on the list, and then looked up at Matthew surprised.

"Does your sister Emily sport play sports?"

When Matthew nods I continue.

"But then maybe she can help me, she must know who it is, she is always aware of her surroundings, so our different scent may also be one of them."

Matthew looks at me confused before he pulls on the shoulders.

"It may well be that she is on the team, but I am sorry to say it, but I don’t think she notice people's different scent. You say that she is aware of her surroundings, but so are you and I am sure that you can’t tell which scent for example, Emily has."

Smiling, he crooked his eyebrow, but I'm just look seriously at him.

"Actually I can, I noticed on her 16th birthday that her scent was cherry."

I say, and Matthew looks at me with surprise, before he again gets a smug look on his face.

"Maybe it's partly right, but you know as well as I do that it can’t be true that she only has one scent, every person has at least two scents mixed together, so Emily’s can’t possibly just be cherry."

I looked at him, before I shrugged.

"I am well aware of that, and I also was at that time, which might be a reason why I put so much attention to it."

Matthew looked surprised at me before he confused frowned and muttered.

"To be honest, I probably would have guessed that she had a scent of salt, I always feel that’s in the room when she is here, but I have to admit that scent isn’t my strong point, the only one who ever caught my attention is my mates."

He smiled widely, I grinned back at him, before I again became serious.

"Is Emily home, I really want to talk to her, see if she can help me get to the bottom of this. I am sure she is aware of the little things that we other take for granted."

Matthew looks at me with surprise, with a searching look.

"You seem to know Emily very well, I didn’t realize that you had spent so much time together. And really it amazes me that you have put so much attention to her personality..."

He didn’t say anymore, but I can see that he is suspicious. And he's my friend, so I wouldn’t sit there and lie to him.

"There has never been anything between me and Emily, if that's what you're worried about, I would never do that to you without telling you. But I have to admit if she wasn’t your sister, I hadn’t held back, I have always found her attractive, and on her 16th birthday I felt an attraction so strong, that if she had just given me a small indication that she was interested, I would have blown that you were my best friend. But she withdrew from me after that, and I took that as her answer, and since then we have had as little as possible to do with each."

I admitted, and was nervous about how Matthew would react. But he just stared at me before he nodded.

"I had the feeling that there was something on your part, and I must admit that it has amazed me that you've never had been doing anything with Emily, I mean you always had many other ..."

He would go on but I rushed up and grabbed him by the collar, and sharpened.

"Emily is not like the others, Emily is special, and even if she had been interest it wouldn’t have been like with the others, Emily is something special ..."

I stopped surprised, this was strange, Matthew was Emily's brother, it should be him who put me in my place, but instead I stood here and tried to convince him how special Emily was. Confused, I fell back in my chair, and looked wonderingly at him.

"Sorry, I don’t know ..."

I couldn’t continue, I didn’t know how to explain it. And Matthew seemed just as surprised.

"You seem very protective ... Just like me when I'm talking about Clarina."

He didn’t say anymore, but I know what he's thinking, and it’s the same that goes through my head. Why am I so protective of little Emily, as alpha we are protective of all our members, but not like this, the only one we are so protective of is our mate and our children. And Emily is neither, unless... I get up with a jerk.

"I need to talk to Emily, I have to see her, I haven’t been close to her for almost two years, but she lives in this house, goes to our school, and those are the places where my mates scent is strongest. And now I protect her against her own brother, you have to admit that it seems odd. Her scent isn’t the one I’m looking for, but you have to admit that my reaction to her is weird. Do you know if she is at home? "

I asked and looked questioningly at Matthew, who looked intense at me before nodding.

"You're right, it seems a little odd that you react to Emily like that, maybe there is nothing in it, but the only way to figure it out is for you to spend a little time together. Then we can either confirm or deny whether she is your mate."

I nodded, and could tell that he communicated through his link probably with Emily, but after some seconds he furrows his brows, before he once again turned his whole attention to me.

"She says she is out for a walk with Clarina"

I look at him.

"So what? They can’t be that far. Clarina just left us.”

I say, Matthew nods, but he can still seem puzzled.

"Yeah, I know, but I also know that Clarina would never go anywhere without telling me, and also I can feel through my link that both my mate and my sister are uncertain and worried about something, and they will not let me in so I can find out way."

He says and looks broken, and I can understand him, to know that two of the most important people in his life keeping a secret from him, can’ be easy. But a thought hit me, and although it hurts me beyond words, I have to say it out loud.

"Listen Matthew if Emily really is my mate, then it is probably why they keep a secret from you, Clarina is Emily's friend, and I know that she will keep a secret if Emily asked her to. And the chance for Emily will not see me, is fairly large, we had nothing to do with each for two years, and even if she is my mate, her actions clearly told me that she isn’t interested for me to find out, after all she fled from me in the woods. So don’t take it that hard, it's not like they keep a secret from you that you should know, but you're my friend and Emily are probably not sure you could keep it to yourself if you found out that she really is my mate."

I say sadly, Matthew looks at me before he gave me a crooked smile.

"There, you just proved that you are a really good friend, and even though I know that, that little speech cost you immense pain, you said it anyway to make sure that I was not unnecessarily hurt. And I'm grateful I am so lucky to have such a good friend."

He said gratefully. And I smiled wryly at him. But the thought kept running around in my head that Emily might be my mate, but wouldn’t have anything to do with me, how would I survive it if that really how it is.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Photo of Matthew on the side

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Remember Vote, Fan & Comment