Ella Goes Into Labor

The Doctor's POV

Melody paused at the door. "I'll be back."

"You better," River called.

We were at Melody's house. I didn't want to leave Melody-what if she did something drastic?-but I felt like it was for her own good.

I watched from the TARDIS doorway as Melody climbed the stairs to the front door. Then she turned around and we locked eyes. For once, she didn't look away, and I could see yet again exactly how much she had seen in her short life, and how recent events added to the stress. Sebastian attacking her. Finding out about the microchip. Learning that this microchip was aiming to kill her.

"See you," Melody said, finally breaking the gaze.

"You, too," I called back, because there wasn't anything else to say.

"Love you, Dad," she said with a faint smile, turning and going inside. I cursed myself for not saying I love you, too. I sighed and entered the TARDIS.

"Is that it?" River asked.

I nodded and turned my focus to the console. I felt a hand on my shoulder and heard River say, "She'll be fine. Don't worry, love."

"I'm not. She's safer at home," I said.

               *****

It's been two months since I left Melody at Ella's, and I've been distracting myself by hanging out with Amy and Rory. Melody hadn't called me once, nor did I call her.

So I was surprised when the phone rang and Amy picked up the phone and said, "Hello?"

She paused, then handed me the phone. "It's Melody. She wants to talk to you."

I took it from her. "Hello?"

"Hi! Guess what?" Melody sounded tired, but excited.

"What?"

"Ella went into labor!" Melody said excitedly.

"Oh-okay," I said, because I didn't know what else to say.

"Yeah-it's exciting. I can't wait to see her. To pass the time, I called you."

"Thanks, Melody. How is she?"

"No idea. The doctors won't let me see her." Melody sighed. "I'm gonna have to go. Have fun!"

"Yeah, you too. Don't lose too much sleep from the twins," I told her. "Bye."

"Bye!" I heard a click and I put the phone down. Once I did, Amy asked, "What did she want?"

"Nothing. Ella went into labor, that's all," I said.

"Ella was pregnant?" Rory asked.

Whoops. Guess I forgot to tell them that. I quickly filled them in, including the whole godparent-thing. Once I was finished, Amy said, "Nice, godfather."

I nodded my head. "So, where do you want to go?"

"Surprise us," Amy said.

River's POV

The Doctor has decided that it's time to go back to Melody, and he wanted me on his side. I don't blame him. He told me about the phone call, and I'm pretty sure that was two months ago. 

Of course, I could be wrong.

Anyways, the place hasn't changed one bit, I noted as I got off the TARDIS. Only it was nighttime and there's a light on.

The Doctor knocked on the door and Ella opened it. "Hello. You realized it's been five months and it's three in the morning?"

So I was right.