A Battle Won but Not for Long

Doctor's POV

I found Melody on the fourth floor, staring out a window. I put a hand on her shoulder, and she jumped.

"Hey," I said, "what's wrong?"

"Oh, nothing," she replied sarcastically. "Just the fact that I spent my birthday fighting Daleks and Cybermen. Oh, and no happy birthday from anyone!"

"Happy birthday," I said. "Eighteen years old. My baby's grown up."

She smiled at this. "And she's fightin' Daleks just like her daddy. What a day."

She looked down at the floor. "No presents. No cake. Just fighting."

"You destroyed Daleks. Shouldn't that be a good enough present?" I leaned against the wall. "Tell you what. Once this is over, we'll celebrate."

"Did you remember a present?" Melody asked.

"Yep," I said.

"No, you didn't," Melody said with a faint smile.

"I'll get you one," I promised.

"Don't forget," she told me.

"I won't. I swear."

"Are you two done chatting? Because we have a guest, and he wants to talk to Melody," Jasmine asked, coming up the stairs.

"Best if I go check," Melody brushed past Jasmine and ran down the stairs.

"Who's the guest?" I asked.

"Nathaniel's great-uncle Clarence Evans," Jasmine explained. "It's best if you stay up here; he's not on Melody's good side and she can scream."

"You think I don't know that? I had to deal with the Terrible Twos by myself."

"Good point. Let's go down to the living room; your girlfriend's down there." With that, Jasmine turned and went back down the stairs.

"She's not my girlfriend," I called down to her.

"I know, Time Lord," she called back.

I stared out the window. We had spent the day cleaning up. It was nighttime now. The stars were bright, but there was no moon. There never was.

I sighed and went downstairs to the living room. It seemed like everyone was there. Ella patted the seat next to her and I sat down. "Queen Alexandra's posting a new message soon," she said.

I nodded. "When will she-"

I was cut off by Melody yelling. "WE ARE NOT KEEPING YOU HERE SO WE CAN GIVE OUR LIVES FOR YOU WHILE YOU COWER LIKE A CORNERED RAT! STAY IN YOUR HOUSE AND DON'T COME BACK HERE ASKING IF YOU CAN STAY THE NIGHT, YOU COWARD!"

She stomped into the living room, muttering, "Clarence Evans is a complete-"

"We've got little ones," Jasmine warned, bouncing Graham in her lap as he tried to squirm out of his mother's grasp.

"I know," Melody sighed and sat down next to her.

"I heard he got on your bad side. How?" I asked.

"He likes taking the big family's heirlooms and selling them. Without permission. I caught him stealing our stuff and I'm worried he'll do it again," Melody snorted. "I'm amazed he hasn't sold the Evans Manor and started living in a trailer."

"He would, but as I'm the rightful owner, he's not allowed to sell anything of the Evans, or he'll go to jail," Nathaniel explained.

"He shouldn't sell anything of ours or of the Vanderbilts or the Boscobels," Melody pointed out.