Queen Alexandra Visits

Jasmine's POV

It was next to impossible to get the Doctor away from Melody's side, but eventually Ella and I managed to drag him to the kitchen, where he sat at a small round table while Ella made tea. I tried to talking to him, telling him that Melody was okay, but he ignored me. This frustrated me, especially when he gave more acknowledgment when Ella put a mug of tea in front of him (okay, it was just a grunt, but still).

"They found her and got her here in time," I reassured him. "She hasn't lost too much blood. And Melissa knows how to do stitches. She'll be fine."

He stared into the steaming mug. "She shouldn't have gone."

"I know," I reached out and put a hand on his. He flinched and pulled away. "Believe me, Time Lord, I wish I could've prevented her from going. No, instead I encouraged her. If I could go back in time-"

"But you can't. It would cause a time paradox and either time would collapsed or she'd get slashed anyways," he rubbed his eyes. "I tried so hard to protect her. I did everything in my power to keep her safe, especially after Kat's death, and she still gets hurt. I don't know what to do anymore." 

Hearing him talk about Mum's death without getting choked up, saying it as though it was okay, shocked me. "Sometimes the protection we give isn't enough to protect our loved ones."

It clearly wasn't what he wanted to hear. "How can you say that? You're saying that I don't protect Melody enough, despite the fact I do everything I could do to protect her. Gee, thanks, Jasmine-"

"Stop," Ella commanded. "Doctor, stop thinking so negative. Stop being an arse to Jasmine. She's trying to help. Let me finish-" the Doctor had opened his mouth- "Jasmine may have not meant what she had said."

"He can't stop being an arse. It's next to impossible. He's a Time Lord, after all," I muttered.

"I heard that," the Doctor said.

"You were suppose too," I said.

"Jasmine, I told the Doctor to stop being an arse. That's not an invitation for you to be one," Ella scolded.

"Yes, Mom," I replied sarcastically. The Doctor cracked up, and soon we were both laughing. 

"And now you're civil?" Ella threw her arms in the air and left the room. The Doctor and I chuckled a bit, then I said, "Is she always like that? So motherly?"

"Yep," the Doctor nodded. He took a sip of his tea and instantly spat it out. "Burnt my tongue."

"Hope you don't do that in public," I said, standing up.

"What? Burn my tongue? Do it all the time."

"Spitting it out, Time Lord."

"Doctor," he corrected. "Where are you going?"

"Check on Melody. Hope the stitches work. They meld the skin together. Barely leaves a scar." I left the room.

Doctor's POV

I looked at the clock over the stove top. 1:12. With a jolt, I realized it was Melody's birthday. She was eighteen, and getting stitches.

"Hey, are you gonna sit there all night, or go see Melody? She's been asking for you," I heard a voice and looked up to see Alex. I nodded and stood up. As I left the room, I heard Alex mutter, "Of course he leaves the tea behind. Can't bother to clean up."

As nice Alex was to me, he was still a were-cat.

Melody was propped up on pillows when I came in. "Hey."