The Meeting

Melody's POV

It was raining as I ran through the streets of London. My hair was plastered to my back with the pouring rain as I leaped over puddles and avoided trashcans; I was in an alleyway, a shortcut to the cemetery. I was splashed with dirty rain water as my bare feet found a puddle much too large to jump.

Dad had dropped Emily and I off yesterday, three days after the sleep spell. It had been raining ever since. And for some odd reason, Liliana and I had arranged to have the meeting today instead of four weeks from now. It wasn't my idea.

I reached the cemetery and climbed the metal fence. The cemetery was extremely muddy from all the rain, so I was splattered with smelly brown gunk as I searched for Liliana Potts. I found her grave and knelt down. Liliana's wispy body appeared. "You came."

"You thought I wouldn't," I murmured. She ignored me. "Have you told him yet?" 

"I wouldn't be here if I had," I said. "But I will, soon. You can't hurt me. I told Ella, when I was ten, and you tried to hurt me then, but she stopped you, didn't she?"

"She won't be there forever. She's growing weaker, protecting you."

"She'll protect me 'til the last minute!" I defended. "She'll keep you from hurting me. She did it the first time you tried to hurt me!"

"Then she killed your best friend, then tried to kill you," Liliana mused.

"She saved me, then."

"You cannot defend her forever," Liliana said. 

"You were never much help. Can we not talk about her? She hears every word we say," I pointed out. Liliana sneered. "What do you mean, I was not much help? Who taught you to shut them out? Who helped you understand the voices?"

"You didn't help me understand the voices. She did," I said. "All you did was help me keep them out. Then you try to kill me. You're not going to succeed, unfortunately."

"Melody, I will succeed, even if it means destroying this universe while at it," Liliana said.

"Oh, yeah?" I pulled out the lighter. "The ground's soft. That means it'll be easy digging up your grave."

"You've used that threat one too many times," Liliana laughed. "Besides, how are you going to do that with rain?"

"I'll manage," I said, and turned on my heel and ran. Liliana called after me, "You will fight one last time, Melody, with her help, but she won't be there any longer after it! Be warned!" 

I ignored her as I climbed the fence and ran home.

Once at the apartment building, I pressed the up for the lift. I jammed in my floor number and the lift brought me to our apartment. I didn't care if I was dripping mud everywhere. The lift's doors opened, and I ran across the hall to my apartment. I unlocked the door and went inside.

And who do I find reading a magazine in our living room but Dad. "Hello, Melody," he said, barely looking up as I walked into the living room.

"Why are you here?"

"Well, to see you, of course." He turned a page in his magazine. "Now for my question: what the hell are you doing up at two in the morning?"

"Couldn't sleep," I lied. He raised an eyebrow. "Couldn't sleep?"

"I just thought I'd go out and get something from the convenience store a couple blocks away," I said. God, I hated lying to my father.

"And you couldn't have gotten something from the kitchen?" he asked.